Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Post by R3spct »

Busy day today, had a mate make up the beginnings of a rotissere for me, i had to make the chassis mounts to the bumper supports, then decided to add threaded rod to move the sliders up and down, then has a pin to lock it height wise.

The car rotates easy, but it tends to roll back to pretty much flat again, so i need to work out a way to control the rotation, maybe a series of sprockets and chain to gear it down, then some sort of pin to lock it.

Still rolls quite well, and is very stable.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

:highfive:
:dance:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That should make it a breeze to work on!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
240znz
Financial Member
aka: James

Post by 240znz »

Drop that suspension out as soon as you can if you haven't already.

To control the rotation of the rostisorie, use a piece of angle iron with holes cut along it. Mount one end to the horizontal bar just tight enough but it still can move and the other end to the vertical upright. Remove the vertical bolt and rotate then put the bolt in one of the pre drilled holes.

Worked very well on my 240z.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Turned the car around today, was a piece of cake to turn it 180. Just need to get a locking mechanism to hold the rotate to lock the angle.

Also made some more holes dissapear!

R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Got most of the drivers side sill done now, and a couple of floor patches done. The rotissere is awsome.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Sweeeet! :mrgreen:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

That looks like a great toy, I can see how it makes work so much easier. How is the rotation axis work? is there a bearing in it or how did you construct it?
Datsuns from A to Zed
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

classicdat wrote:That looks like a great toy, I can see how it makes work so much easier. How is the rotation axis work? is there a bearing in it or how did you construct it?

A mate did the basic contruction, its just got a tube over tube, and a nut inside to stop it sliding off, then the plate was welded on the end. It turns over easy as, but im considering some sort of chain operated turning mechanism to give a bit more control, atm it has a pin at one end to stop it turning, which is working fine at current weight but heavy leaning on it might bend something.

It owes me maybe 500 as it stands, and last one i saw on trademe went for 900!
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Been a good weekends work, got the drivers side sill on and all welded up and painted with primer. There is no rust in there at all anymore. :highfive:

Then got the scuttle and under dash done on drivers side.

Then turned it around and took a good look at the passengers side sill. And its bad, worse than the driver side i think.

Ive cut a lot of the rot out, and was so much compressed mud in there. Was a lot of fibreglass over rust, if the repairer had cut all the rust out and put some rust converter it it might have lasted a lot better. Im probably going to go back over the drivers side panel now in front of the rear wheel and make sure thats as good as i thought it was.

Its a long road before this will be on the road, but should be worth the effort to sort it out as its got a lot of solid Datsun in there still.

The rotisserie is brilliant, getting under the dash to tig weld the patch in was easy with car on its side and me sitting in the door was as such.