Re: CRAIGS 510 1600

Post by 2 doors »

go the enkies and leave the custom watanabes for me for my 240z lol
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter
aka: Craig

Post by hsepwr »

Last time I took my car to Taupo track near the end of the long straight she was dropping fuel pressure so I would let off the gas for a sec it would then lift and away I went again so I'm picking the piss poor 35gph airtek fuel pump is crap and can't keep up with demand plus it only has 1/8npt fittings in it which is a huge restriction.
I have got a carter 80gph pump now and have been mucking around with some fittings trying to sort a way of plumbing and mounting position but it's looking like it will just go where the old one is.

If anyone has a better idea on mounting or plumbing I'm open to opinions by all means.

Old pump
I REAKON THE WORD CANT MEANS CANT BE FU%&#CKED
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

Craig I still run an Airtek in my 510 (L18 bored and stroked to 2 litre with 45 webers). At Manfield and on the dyno all seemed ok. I then found one hillclimb with a long uphill full throttle section was catching it out. I found by upgrading the fuel line that it is now ok. To test it I fitted a pressure gauge with a hose out of the rear of the bonnet that I could watch while driving. I then went out and tried it on the biggest hills. The before and after results with fatter fuel lines where quite dramatic. I would agree that a bigger pump is a very good idea. The thought of a set of Ross pistons going south does not appeal.
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter

Post by hsepwr »

68p510sss wrote:Craig I still run an Airtek in my 510 (L18 bored and stroked to 2 litre with 45 webers). At Manfield and on the dyno all seemed ok. I then found one hillclimb with a long uphill full throttle section was catching it out. I found by upgrading the fuel line that it is now ok. To test it I fitted a pressure gauge with a hose out of the rear of the bonnet that I could watch while driving. I then went out and tried it on the biggest hills. The before and after results with fatter fuel lines where quite dramatic. I would agree that a bigger pump is a very good idea. The thought of a set of Ross pistons going south does not appeal.
I have a good quality Autometer fuel press gauge mounted in my car and watching it drop from 3.5psi to 1 didn't excite me too much. I agree with the size of the fuel line will help but I thought -6 3/8 line would be ample basing it on must big USA tanks running v8s run either 5/16 or 3/8 and I have just done Teflon line through the car so the cheaper option was to do the pump first rather than change all the line and fittings.

If the pump doesn't fix the prob I guess I'll be going to -8 line, fingers crossed.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Man you have some sweet parts on your car Craig.
You must have an AWESOME hook up for parts! :lol:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter

Post by hsepwr »

Bartman wrote:Man you have some sweet parts on your car Craig.
You must have an AWESOME hook up for parts! :lol:
HAHA Hes a bit of a rude bastard but gives me good deals on parts lol
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter

Post by hsepwr »

After taking my car to the track and trying to work out if It was lean or rich etc I decided a air fuel gauge would be money well spent so managed to pick up a Autometer gauge and oil temp pretty cheap.

Finished with the car on the stands tonight. Fitted a 4:44 diff fixed the gearbox leak (fingers crossed) changed oil and a general nut and bolt check.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

hsepwr wrote:After taking my car to the track and trying to work out if It was lean or rich etc I decided a air fuel gauge would be money well spent so managed to pick up a Autometer gauge and oil temp pretty cheap.
Sourced from that rude bastard again? :lol:
My orangatang 510 here.
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter

Re: CRAIGS 510 1600, IM NOW A DATSUN WIDOW

Post by hsepwr »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well sunday was one of the hardest days of my life when I watched someone else drive my 1600 out my drive and onto their trailer. I am now a widow but mark my words I am going to buy this car back in a few years or build one that is bigger better and faster as im far from ready to close the book on this chapter, im essentially having a holiday from it and just because I don't currently have a Datsun parked in my shed I will still be visiting this page on a daily basis as you guys are family now and your stuck with me.

I had owned the car 7-8 years and a week on after selling it I honestly still feel lost without it in my shed as I wasn't ready to part with it. Absolutely slutted!!!