DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Cleaned out the throttle body etc but haven't been able to get it to idle any better, sits at around 1400 when warm with the idle screw wound all the way in, it's possibly I either cracked or pinched an injector seal when I had the injectors out so will pull them out again at some stage.

Dropped the fuel tank off at Burnside Radiators, Paul there seemed to think it already had some sort of lining in it but they're going to clean it and reline it.

Swapped the fan today and I suspected the original one wasn't working properly, was taking a chance as the new fan felt the same as the old one but the new one is actually working properly which makes the car sound less like a 747.

Took the starter motor out to have a look, the pinion on the starter was worn and the ring gear is pretty rooted too, I swapped the starter for the reduction gear one I used to have on the 3.1 and it seems to be working better, probably not good for the pinion but I don't want to drop the auto yet just to change the ring gear.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Thought I'd updated this since the last post, hmm. Anyway, I swapped the idle solenoid thing and now it idles like it's supposed to, bit of a pain in the ass to do with the throttle body attached to the car but oh well, it's fixed! Still waiting to get the fuel tank back.

I changed the engine oil and filter tonight and gave it a quick wash, it's come up pretty good, there are a couple of little scratches and scrapes that I hadn't noticed before but nothing too serious. Going to need to change the radius rod bushes as they are really cracked, it's had Nolathane idler arm bushes fitted by the looks of it and new brake hoses at some point.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Shuffled the cars around tonight and have this in the garage now so I can start working on it. There's a little bit of surface rust under the steering box so I think I'm going to pull the motor out to take care of it and a few other little bits.

I bought one of these alternator adjusters and also a pulley for putting a later model alternator onto the L series, so am going to try and find an 80ish amp one. One of the headlights isn't working and it still has the factory sealed beams so will upgrade to semi sealed beams with relays like the black car.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the motor out, first time I've done one without taking the bonnet off. Got a couple of things to do while the motor is out:

1. Fix broken exhaust manifold stud
2. Fit alternator adjuster and probably a bigger alternator
3. Change flex plate, I've got one thats better but if anybody has a mint one let me know
4. Degrease around the front of the motor
5. Swap dizzy shaft to a splined one so I can start setting up for the RB30 computer swap

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bought a bush kit from the States, it's got pretty much everything I need in it including some urethane bump stops for the front and rear shocks.

Got the dizzy assembled using the old dizzy from the 3.1 refitted with the rotor shaft and a new cap and rotor.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Sold the L28 out of this, might have been the wrong choice but we'll see.

I flipped flopped a few times but I think this one is going to end up with an individual throttle bodied RB25 Neo in it now. I've got the old gearbox that I had in the HR30 which is a 280ZX box with an RB bell housing and I've got a few other bits and pieces that would make it a pretty easy swap.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Finish one car? (not that I can talk lol)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

The black car is pretty much as done as it will be for the moment except for the little things I have to tidy up, I'm pottering along with the DR, still haven't 100% decided to sell it yet.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bought a 2nd hand but nearly new Wilwood 1" master cylinder probably for this, they are almost a straight fit apart from slotting the mounting bolt holes slightly and a couple of other little things.

I'm thinking I'm going to try and make this thing fairly light, run small wheels, smallish brakes (probably Wilwoods on the front), fibreglass guards, lose the power steering and put a manual rack in, keep the R180 etc etc
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread