DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Found some pictures of when I made the previous manifold flange, now I remember why it seemed to line up better last time, I drilled the holes to 40mm then drilled half the thickness of the flange to 45mm (the throttle bodies are 45mm) and then ground out the rest to match the runners - the new flanges I made were just 45mm so there is a big gap around where they need to be welded.

I think I'll make another set that are stepped 40 & 45mm like the last ones - if I spent enough time on it I could mill them from 45mm and match each individual runner but it's probably not worth it for a one off. I've been having a bit of trouble with the mill, the computer died so I got another one which didn't work properly and while trying to get that to work I ended up breaking another probe tip which I'd only just got so that's another $50 down the tube and I have to wait 2 weeks to get more from the US - I bought two this time so I have a backup. Can't do much without the probe tip so this will have to wait until they show up.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Massive progress here. I got some fittings for the rocker covers ages ago and wanted to see what they looked like, the first original fitting came out with barely a pull, the second wouldn't come out at all and I ended up tearing the steel while trying to pull it out (while heating the cover). Ended up putting it in the mill and milling through the side of the fitting until it came loose, then I had to take the baffle out and clean all the metal out of it.

I haven't pressed them in yet as I want to paint the covers before I do.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Paint, or powder coat?
I have a hook up for powder coating.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:Paint, or powder coat?
I have a hook up for powder coating.
They'll probably get black wrinkle coat.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got another three throttle body flanges made finally, ended up doing them at work on the big mill, it was a battle but I got there in the end. Will try and get them welded on over the next week or so.

Have started work on a sump flange as well, I'm going to make another sump out of aluminium.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got an idea about marking out the bolt locations off a junk RB25 block I've got, it'll be quite slow to do but should be very accurate. I've had a pretty good search and I can't find a CAD file of a sump flange anywhere. Will take some pictures once I get around to doing it, hopefully this week sometime.

Need to get on to sorting out the front brakes and finding some wheels too.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I'm taking a break from the black car and decided to try welding the inlet manifold on this myself, I heated it up in the same heater/dryer that I used for the valve guides and it seems to be welding okay apart from the cast part being really dirty, even though I've tried cleaning it about 4 times. I think I'll weld it and then probably grind it back and weld it again, or maybe just some of the more yuck looking ones.

The welder at work is much better than the last one that I used but still doesn't have a water cooled torch so I'm just taking it slowly. I think my eyes are getting worse from what they used to be, might have to see about getting magnifying lens for the welding helmet and get some more lighting for the welding area.

I'll put up some pics once it's finished. I'm going to have to face the throttle body flanges in the mill at work I think, I've put some serious heat into it, enough to turn the steel dowels purple.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Took the engine back out of this today, still haven't 100% decided on what to do with the car. The sump doesn't fit around the rack mounts so I either need to make a new one or modify the steel one that's on there. I think I'll make up another set of mounts the same as what's in the black car and try again before I cut up the sump.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So after a lot of thinking I ended up buying another Z to take the engine and gearbox out of to put this car back to "standard" so I can sell it. I've got too many projects at the moment (and want to buy more) and I'm just not really that attached to this car.

So it's a 1979ish 2+2, it's been off the road for a couple of years, the story goes that a panel beater in Greymouth started working on it and then the owner lost interest (I think). There's lots of bits missing off it but the engine is reasonably complete and it has a 5 speed gearbox in it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

What other projects are you looking to buy hmm?? No doubt some crazy super car hehe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk