DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Got the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing and water pump outlet installed today, took a lot longer than it should have. Got the engine bolted in properly as well.

Removed the clutch hard line from the 2+2 as well, need to swap the pedal box over before I can install the new clutch master, lines and new slave.

James brought back the axles the other day, only tried one today but it fit, their both the same length, I'm not sure if that's correct for an R180. One has a split other boot so I need to sort that out before I can put it in.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Well Done Daniel,
If you get stuck Axle wise I have a couple of UJ type Axles you could steal parts from or try fitting.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got some bits today, the clutch fork boot and speedo drive gear. They didn't have any more of the drive sleeves so hopefully I've got one that will work.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

On the weekend I didn't get too much done, got the clutch fork boot and slave cylinder installed. Disassembled the driveshaft with the torn CV boot, I took the joint down to Repco but forgot the old boot and they weren't really willing to try boots on the joint for me so I'll have to sort that next weekend. Ordered a new rear trans seal as well as the original looked pretty average.

I found a sleeve that already had a purple gear in it (it actually looked white though), I pulled it out and put the new gear in but I think it's actually the wrong sleeve, need to put a slot in it 180 degrees from where the original slot is then it should fit in the gearbox.

Pulled one of the plugs out of a spare R200 rear cover that I had around for the fill bung on the R180, the original went missing somewhere along the line.

Slowly getting closer.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Milling the slot into the speedo drive tonight, bit of a silly use of the mill but it worked.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Didn't manage to get a lot done this weekend, got the new trans seal from Repco, asked them about a new CV boot for the 2nd time and it got too painful so I pulled one off one of my spare big spline axles today and put it on the other shaft. Didn't really want to use a 2nd hand one but it should be okay.

I might have to make a tool to try and reshape the tail shaft where the seal sits as it's a bit out of shape, I don't think I did it but there's a chance that I did, will just put a taper on a bit of steel and whack it in there.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

100-013 is the Repco part number I used for my inner and outer CV boots. Fitted up pretty good on axles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:100-013 is the Repco part number I used for my inner and outer CV boots. Fitted up pretty good on axles.

Are they tripod ones? The inner and outer boots on these axles are quite different.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yeah tripod. Yeah some of mine were a bit different but I've got all 4x the same now.

DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:Yeah tripod. Yeah some of mine were a bit different but I've got all 4x the same now.

Interesting, I need one to put the other axle back together anyway so I'll get one and see if it works. The inner boots have a steel piece on them that gets crimped one rather than having a band.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread