DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:What other projects are you looking to buy hmm?? No doubt some crazy super car hehe
Nah, I've got my eye on a Z31 haha.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Ooooh nice!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Have just about got the L28 in the parts car ready to run, somebody did some very odd disassembly on it, can't quite figure out why. It was unbolted from the box and also from the engine mounts so it looks like it was ready to come out but they'd also removed the fuel rail and bent it in the process so it took quite a while to get that straightened out. Pretty much need to put fuel in it and take the battery out of the black car and see if it starts.

There was no starter or air flow meter with the car so I've had to scrounge in my parts stash, hopefully the air flow meter still works.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So, after fixing a bunch of problems today I managed to get the 2+2 started, first thing was the only air flow meter I could find had been sitting outside for over a year so after pulling it apart and cleaning and lubing it I managed to free it up.

I found a key in the centre console but it was basically solid rust, I tried it in the ignition and it wouldn't turn, I had a spare column sitting outside so I pulled the ignition switch off it which you can turn with a screwdriver and plugged that into the 2+2.

Next was the fuel pump wasn't working, the wiring was getting quite hot and also the pump itself was getting hot, I was going to take the pump out of the white car but thought I'd disassemble the original pump, so I did that and managed to free it up so I put it back in.

Pressurised the fuel system and fuel started to piss out of a rust hole in the fuel filter, so I borrowed the new one that I put in the white car. Tried to start it and it fired right up, ran pretty rough for a while but then cleared up (mostly). The water pump wouldn't turn so I pulled that off, picture below, think I might replace it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Also pulled the motor and box out on Sunday and put them in the white car, it's not fully in there yet but is pretty close.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

James put the R180 LSD I've had for this back together yesterday, I'll put it back in the car once the weather is a bit nicer. I need to get a 4.375 speedo drive cog and carrier, they're actually pretty cheap from Amayama.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Oh, bought a new water pump, thermostat, clutch slave cylinder and new clutch hose for this too. The slave cylinder on the car was pretty rusty and the hose looked pretty average. I need to get a new radiator cap too.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Post by Otodat »

Really admire the motivation you have on your cars at the moment :popcorn:
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Pushed the car into the driveway with James' help today, now I can actually jack it up and work on it.

These are the titanium stub axle nuts that I bought ages ago.

And got the diff in tonight.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Parts parts parts. New water pump, clutch slave, clutch hose and thermostat. The water pump has a cast impeller and not a stamped one so that's a bonus.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread