Raizers Y30 Gloria

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Raizer

Raizers Y30 Gloria

Post by Raizer »

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and this is my Gloria :P

So since before I could legally drive I've wanted my great uncles Gloria wagon, well he passed away in Labour weekend and the wagon was left to me!
I only really used to see it once or twice a year at most and remembered it as immaculate, so we went down to a small town past Wairoa to pick it up the following weekend, and well I found that it had kind of gone down hill a bit in the last couple of years since I saw it last and can no longer be classed as immaculate :(

This is how we found her, parked up since last October besides the odd little run to keep everything working:

Hard to make out in the pic but there is a massively thick layer of dust coating the car here!
Also found when we went to start it there was a lot of fuel pissing out of various places on the diesel pump and it had a near dead battery.
So after pinching the 3 week old HD battery out of the Toyota dog kennel and getting the diesel leaks down to one drip every 5 seconds it fired up and promptly enveloped most of the district in thick blue smoke! -guessing oil had seeped past the valve stem seals while it sat, it cleared up pretty quickly.

With that it was time to hitch up the trailer that came with it, drive the Toyota Kennel to it's final resting spot, thank my auntie and head off to Wairoa for some diesel and a $7 "Ultra Deluxe Supreme" car wash
Looking a bit sharper for sure!

Here is about the point near the top of the Wharerata's that I realized turning the heater on full and thinking happy thoughts was NOT going to get the temp needle out of the H zone or the speedo over 40 lol

So once we got to the top of the "Whares" it was discovered that instead of water the rad was full of a slurry composed predominantly of rust and that the radiator cap whilst shiny didn't actually fit or seal at all :lol:
20min cooling later we were good to go again

Next day:
Today's progress has consisted of 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Cleaned out 20+ years of crap from out of it = step forward x1.

Getting the roof lights working = step forward x2.

Breaking the window winder handle while resetting its position = step back. (it dug into my knee when the window was right down or up)

Getting the tailgate to close against the seal = step forward/step back if the car was intended to be a covert gas chamber?

Found the motor for the "side loading window" while not dead, isn't far from it. Apply power and it makes a sick humming noise but nothing else notable happens. It looks like a pretty standard window motor, but its tucked in a pretty crap spot to get at with big hands!! -just realized I've got a 9 year old with little hands and a taste for pocket money...

Nothing else of excitement to report as of yet, but stay tuned...

Ooh yeah figured I might as well show you guys the insidey bits too!
The vacuum in our workshop = less suck than a $2 prossie, will give it a proper clean out soon.
I'm sure that's still a relevant map! :lol:

Brand new/2 year old fender mirror

Sounds like an what I imagine an RB gargling a bucket of ball bearings would sound like ie: Awesome!

A krafty piece of Kiwi ingenuity ;)

It's only about 1/2 a meter longer than the Altezza, it feels about 5 meters longer to drive though haha

The eagle eyed among you will have noticed the factory AM only radio and possibly the 1" speaker siting in the ash tray thats connected to my ipod.

Plan there is to install a period correct tape deck in place of the AM set up, some modern speakers in the doors covered with old grills that are yet to be acquired from a local wreckers yard.

If it's a working tape player an Orion style line in will be the go, otherwise I'm thinking of stashing one of those mechless headunits in the glove box.
Raizer

Re: Raizers Y30 Gloria

Post by Raizer »

So yeah over the next few days I got it all road legal, scrubbed out the interior and have started fixing the many squeaks and rattles!

Planning to swap the 82 profile farm tyres out for a set of 195/50/14s, just need to find a 3.9 R200 head to gut for my C200 live axle first (or maybe a 3.69) first.
Going to be chucking a pair of 2" blocks in the rear and possibly get the leaves reset -will see how low it sits once I remove the load compensators from the rear first, the car was used to tow one of those big caged water tanks once in a while and the leaves have sagged a lot!!
Having a bit of trouble finding a pair of front springs to suit though, might just have to bite the bullet and go to coil overs if I don't find something soon!

Other than lowering the main plans are getting rid of all the little dents, turboing the RD and just cruising really.

And thats my story -Raizer age 28 :D
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

cool story man, shame about your great uncle though, I guess he at least knew the car would go to a good home.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Hey dude - ive got the 3.8 r200 on trade me atm.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =666628185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its from the c31 Laurel hardtop - and seemed fine, no whines etc.

Id do it to you for the same $$ including freight up to you - or hit me with an offer.

I seen this on OS - Sweet wagon dude.

Heres some inspiration from a mate in chch

Raizer

Post by Raizer »

Cheers for the offer, but I think it's a short nose R200 I need?
Thats a C200 out of a Frontier, but the center looks the same as my C200.

Your mates one looks sweet!!
Looks about the height I want to try and get mine :)

Reckon you could ask what front springs its running?
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

What part of the r200 do you need?
Raizer

Post by Raizer »

I was just going to swap a whole center over, but even just a ring gear and pinion would work.

From what I've read RB20E Cefiros and automatic turbo S14 & 15s have the 3.91 ratio.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Mean ride. Oozes summer cruiser potential.
My orangatang 510 here.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

Ive got an s14 lsd diff for sale. Not sure on ratio. Can find out monday
Raizer

Post by Raizer »

I've got a 3.5 for it now, but I have a feeling that is going to be too low!

So I was starting to get more than a little disheartened with the wagon and its lack of propulsional motorvation.
In other words it was slow as fook!
A point hammered home on Saturday while chugging up a hill in 1st gear doing 20k max!

I knew nonturbo diesel were slow, but come on!!

So having had more than enough of that malarkey I decided to try and do something about it without fitting a Jpipe and turbo (yet!!)
First thing to do was a "benchmark" test so I could gauge any improvements, I did this by going over the Makorori beach hill with the hammer down -more on this soon.

I figured if winding more fuel into a turbo diesel gives more power then it should at least do something to a non turbo too right?
So I started turning the fuel screw up 1/4 turn at a time and watching for smoke.
3 complete turns later I had a cloud of black smoke in the mirror and a smile on my face as the "spider coated" R32 behind me vanished into the smoke :D
Wound it back out 1/8th turn and there was no more smoke so back to that benchmarking hill climb:
Before: 2nd gear, 35k max speed :(
After: 5th gear, 100k and pulling!! + it wanted to spin the wheels coming out of the beach car park, something I believe to be completely foreign to this car haha

After driving this goon for over a month and getting used to it, its now... dare I say it? Fast! :o

/tl;dr?
Summery, was slow now fast in comparison.

Sorry for the photoless update!
Will try and make the next one a bit more interesting ;)