Whats it worth??

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
dattysun
aka: New Zealand

Whats it worth??

Post by dattysun »

Hi All

I have come across this old sunny wagon sitting in storage and have convinced the owner to part with it but wants $8 grand for it. Just after some response as to what you all reakon its worth as I am keen as anything to get myself another Datsun and get involved again!!

I have attached a picture (does not do it justice till looks good tho) - its has a full panel and respray and the interior is immaculate and run like new. So let me know what you would pay to help me come up with a fair offer for the owner!

I used to own a red 83 sunny sedan here in chch and some of you may remember the Rakia cruise in 2011 coming down the gorge and shattered out the front windscreen about a few km's away from the park up and bbq and having to drive the whole way back to chch doing about 50 with some safety eyewear gifted from one of the lads

Cheers all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodies72coupe
Committee Members

Post by woodies72coupe »

Cant see too much in the photos. But id say thats top dollar for it. 6k would be my limit. But there isnt many around like that anymore. And it would cost way more to restore it .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: Whats it worth??

Post by Kitch »

Looking at the garage in the bacground
it appears it is that one from the private collector in Chch out near the airport?
although I thoughbt that one had original paint.

$8K is top dollar in my opinion, would have to be 'out of the box' condition in my opinion and under 150,000km

but its hard to say as 'mint' datsuns are getting harder and harder to come by.

You can always do what everyone else does, and buy a car for half the price, in poor condition, and spend 5x more on it to get it to same condition! ;)
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

For 8k you would be wanting some proof of the quality of work from the panel and respray

There are defiantly some artists out there with a can of bog.

Are there some sort of restoration photo's available to quantify the asking price?
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
dattysun

Post by dattysun »

yea sure is the one owned by the airport, $8,000 really is top dollar and a little more than I want to pay.
was original paint till a few months back it got a bit of a fix up, hoping $6 to $6 and a half he will part with it
dattysun

Post by dattysun »

85_Z31 wrote:For 8k you would be wanting some proof of the quality of work from the panel and respray

There are defiantly some artists out there with a can of bog.

Are there some sort of restoration photo's available to quantify the asking price?
will go back and get more background detail but is owned by a typically American car restorer who has a guy pretty much full time to restore his cars so im confident it will be to a high standard
datomic
Regular

Post by datomic »

This guy had a big auction on his property maybe 2-3 years ago where he was trying to get rid of some of his less desirable cars...MK5 cortina, VL commodore, Morris marina and the like. Still tidy, desirable cars but compared to the big dollar GM stuff I saw in his shed fairly pedestrian items. I offered him $3k for the commodore as it was super, crazy tidy. He turned it down, in retrospect, I'm not sure I would have gone through with the deal. As it happened he $1 reserved some of his collection at turners and i got the commodore for $1500.

Anyway - my point. Everything this guy owns is for sale at the right price. I offered him $1500 for this very same wagon at the time. As I recall it was the caretakers runabout, and was a favourite of his, which may be why it has been subject to a big restoration. When I made my offer it definitely had bog, in either the right hand driver or passenger door.

If your heart is set on a burnt orange round headlight wagon in super fresh slick condition and you will always lust after exactly that no matter what else you own then go for it. However if you are just after a tidy Datsun of the 1200/Sunny variety you have a whole lot of options if you have $8k to spend. I have an un-restored tidy original condition square headlight wagon in burnt orange that I would let go for a whole lot less, not that I'm all that keen to sell.

Sorry for the wall of text, Just be mindful you won't be getting the deal of the century as he is quite the businessman.

They aren't on trademe any more but there have been at least 3 super tidy low owner all original 1200 sedans on trademe in the last year and they to me represent a much better investment given the motorsport history and the nz sss versions bringing the price of the standard ones up as sss examples get too pricey.
DATY12
Regular
aka: Kev

Post by DATY12 »

I spotted this Sunny wagon at the Winchester swap meet last year, a guy had driven it down for a run and I caught him as he was driving in.
I payed some interest and he gave me a card for the collector, I phoned him that week and offered him 4k but he turned me down.
At that stage the paint needed a little tidy up as it was a bit crazed on the roof and rear pillar from memory.

It is a very tidy car but 8k is getting up there for a Sunny, in my mind also a 1200 would be a better investment but that depends if you are a Sunny or 1200 fan.

Im holding out for a mint 1200 wagon,it will take a while but one day I will find one and restore it for my boys. :P
Datsuns I've owned
Datsun Sunny x 4
Datsun 1200 Sedan
Datsun 1200 Roadstar Ute
-Current
Datsun C20 Vanette
dattysun

Post by dattysun »

I would ideally like a 1200 coupe/ sedan or this sunny wagon as my preference but you are all quite right the price would have to be around 6 as 8 is to much. I'll find the guy who did the paint and see if he remembers what it was like before the job. But if any of you all know some looking to sell a 1200 or something around that early to mid 70's let me know to keep my options open as I want to get the right one especially Odin spending very sent I have on it and the next one I buy will be the one I keep for a very long time
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

For that kind of money, you could buy a much more desirable datsun, which will have excellent resale if or when you decide to sell it.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............