1979 Datsun 120y (Ninja edition)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

1979 Datsun 120y (Ninja edition)

Post by ThreeBlindNinjas »

Seeing I'm kicking butt and getting stuff done, I better make a thread in here.

So this is what I started with. Bog standard.

I had these wheels just waiting for the right car. Off an early Sigma I believe. They needed a small spacer in the front to allow the wheel to sit all nice and flush against the hub, but yeah. They'll do until I can put some more $$$ together!

Last night after work I decided to get stuck in and get the blocks in the back. 3 hours to do one side... I gave up, opened a beer and fell asleep. This morning was way more productive. Got the other block in, took about 3/4 an hour, with some mucking around. Put the springs in the front without using the B310 top hats. Teins, that are still captive! Happy days.

Seeing it was still early, I thought I better get the seat belts in the rear... I got kids you see. The holes were there, I just pulled the bung out and away I went.

So end result is this... All before lunch to!
ImageImage

Next? Paint the wheels. Probably black... Maybe... :D :D
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: 1979 Datsun 120y (Ninja edition)

Post by Kitch »

fuk Gaz u made that look easy!
thats a mean height. What are those teins out of?

took kids down the bay this arvo, and ironically saw my old Y I sold to that chick in Oamaru, that I was telling u bout when u came round the other day. it looked bloody good still.

look fwd to rolling up to akaroa with some fellow timaruvians
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Ha, last night... not so easy! Today, just went well. In a few pictures? Yep easy!

The teins are a rear spring from an unknown car, just something we had at work that looked like a maybe/likely/worth a shot go. I had a selection of springs to try. Some red cut BMW springs, some avenger springs, and the teins... I'll take back the ones I haven't used.

I had to cut the last coil off each spring which tapered in to narrow seat, but other than that, no issues. Captive, and as far as I can tell, legal. There's no cut spring, riding on mostly bumpstop bounce. I even hit a good bump that made the diff find it's stop, but the fronts were sweet and didn't hit home.
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Just scored these off a young guy. $200 from a photo. I'll pick them up tomorrow. (if they're all straight!) They came off a KE70 wagon so I reckon they'll be mint for the 120y. I will have to swap my tyres off my steel wheels, but that's no problem.

14 x 6 I believe, so a little bit wider than the steelies.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Should look great!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

The wheels... Cheap and good condition for price. Got em home, gave them a quick once over with some cleaner and yeah. All shiny.

But they don't fit on the front. I was feeling super confident that they would fit. I took a 120Y front disk/hub with me to check. Pity it didn't have the calliper attached. The inside of the wheel is too flat to clear the outside edge of the calliper. This bit. (I took the photo on an angle to exaggerate the issue for ease of explaining)

Once my better half gets up I'll go see what a spacer will do, and whether there's enough wheel stud thread to wind a nut onto.

(No comments on my thread bare carpet either... I have twin boys and that carpet isn't getting replaced until they move out. :lol: )
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

I reckon I'd need about 10-12mm of spacing, and that would leave me with no wheel stud showing. Took a photo of the wheel in position, still on the jack, wound down as low as I dared.

The tyre is 185/65R14 which I was going to swap out for a 185/60. It's a pity because I sort of like the look, but unless I can come up with some genius idea, or someone else has canoed this creek and found a paddle, I'll be keeping the steelies for a while longer!
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

If you check out Beavers 120y thread he trimmed down his front calipers a bit so his wheels would fit. If you paint them after no one could tell:grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

That thought had crossed my mind. :lol:

Thanks for the tip.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »