1979 Datsun 120y (Ninja edition)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: 1979 Datsun 120y (Ninja edition)

Post by classicdat »

Well done son. Good on you for taking a punt, hope it works out. Do you know about lining the dot and the notch up on the oil pump housing when on TDC?
Datsuns from A to Zed
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Post by ThreeBlindNinjas »

Yeah, I know about that, but somehow I have still cocked it up. Tomorrow is the day. I can tell already!
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Hit the engine this morning with a plan. didn't work. I pulled the pump off, confirmed the oil pump/distb shaft was in the right position, and wept. No engine running. after a hour of coffee, tears and internet searching. nothing.

Then while returning the engine to TDC I spotted the problem. I put the bloodly cam in 180 degrees out. Seriously.

After fixing this small timing issue, (see removing timing chain...) I had that feeling so started the video camera, here's first start up.

:dance2: Short and sweet. It lives... It's alive!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Nice one!
Nothing lifts the spirits like when an engine bursts into life.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Eventful evening last night. I just couldn't help myself and after a few Codys I found myself having a play with the engine. I was giving it a few large ones, and gave it an over rev... as you do.

The engine still runs but is a little tappy as you could imagine, so I'll get this fixed up tonight and start getting a cooling system back in at least. Might even get a peek at the exhaust if all goes well.
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Got 90% of the engine sorted. I'm still finding the odd issue (like a leak from the oil pressure sensor) but all in all the engine seems good. I haven't put a timing light on it or even put new points or leads but I'm very happy so far.

I cobbled up a exhaust which has been sealed with what I can only describe as a liberal amount of sealant, but I figure I can drive quietly to a muffler shop with a leaking exhaust but driving there quietly with no exhaust isn't really an option. Time will tell how long it lasts.

Brakes now, I ordered some pads from BNT last week so will chase them up tomorrow. I'm going to do the rear slave cylinders and shoes. Might as well... Remembered I hadn't put oil in the gearbox so better get onto that too.

It's all getting very close to being driven again!
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Good shit man!! Almost makes me want an L series again haha
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Well, I'm waiting. Waiting for some brake pads. I found some rear brake cylinders locally on the shelf so that was an easy phone call.

I'll bolt the new ones up tomorrow and might as well bolt the calipers on the front and start spanner checking everything.
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Well, it's been a long week. Last weekend I got next to nothing done on the Datsun... Between kids rugby and mates birthdays very little progress was made. Monday I chased up the front brake pads and got them sorted. During the week I got all the brakes on the car, and swapped some tyres, leaving me to just bleed the brakes up today, and put some gearbox oil in the box.

So it's running, on the ground, the brakes work, the gears change, just happy times!

Here's a shed skid to prove it!

I can't wait to get it out on the road but given the really shit weather, I'll just wait until the sun comes out!
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Hey all. The Datsun has been on the back burner for a bit while I've been up to other stuff, but summer is just around the corner so I'm back into it for a bit. You might have seen a photo on FB.

One of the problems I've been having is with tyre clearance. Even with a 155/65 stretched on, the tyres will rub in the rear, and I really want to get a wider tyre on eventually

So I found some flares, and got me some rivets. Then fitted a boot spoiler... As you do.

ImageImage

I've cut about 35mm from the front guards and I'm waiting for a borrow of a guard roller to really work the rear guards. I painted the chin spoiler white to match the rest and I'm pretty happy with the result/look.

ImageImage