BRAASY'S 1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
damz721
Financial Member
aka: Damian

Re: This Thread is Reserved for Braasy's new ride :)

Post by damz721 »

What is it !!? :popcorn:
:useless: :deadhorse:
- 77 B210 S/W
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

broke wrote:I've seen it. Looks sweet bro!

Still not telling the rest of you what it is! :mrgreen:

Thanks for nothing :deadhorse: lol
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Braasy's Datsun 240Z (S30) 2 Door Coupe

Post by braasmonkey »

OK! I'm finally back in OZ with time enough to finally post something worth while! For those that weren't aware, I flew over just to pick up this beast! Unfortunately there was simply not enough time to get all that I wanted done, and see all those I wanted to see. Apologies to those I couldn't get to, but there is always October!

The whole process has been very quick, exciting, and I hardly slept a wink prior and during my visit haha. Although it was a short week last week, the weekend certainly didn't arrive soon enough!

So yes, it is red, it does have triple side drafts, is indeed running semi slicks, and no it's not another 1200... :)

Now, where to start... Oh, I know! I bought a frickin' 1972 Datsun 240Z, yo!! I've been keen on them for the longest time, and a REALLY big thanks has to go out to Kitch and his keen eye, for it's thanks to him that I can check another Datsun off the bucket list ;) He was very kind to bring this beast to my attention and offer his time to check it over and test drive on my behalf. Based on his feedback, pics, and videos, I was sold. It was exactly what I was after (what a GC!). I was in touch with the owner the next day, and the purchase was finalised (through a guy called Nev, based just outside of Timaru - some of you I believe already know him or of him). A great guy, open and honest right from the get go, which I'm sure you'll all agree is rare...

So now Saturday has now come and gone, and the Z is now safely tucked away. I'll be honest, she's not perfect (and a bit of a mongrel to drive at times), but she is perfect for me (also in better condition than I thought - Kitch and Nev both painted a more grim picture with regards to paint haha). I can't say there weren't any initial issues (fuel leak which cost us some time - Nev was kind enough to come to the rescue), but we moved passed them and soldiered on :D With a patch job in place, and half a tank, it was thought it best to head straight back to Christchurch rather that sight see (sorry Kitch!).

Although he's not a member on this forum, have to say thanks to my mate Cameron. He ferried me down Timaru way in his own time, took some pics and vids for me, pointed out the fuel leak, and also kept an eye on me all the way back to Christchurch, just in case I needed rescuing. A real GC, and was almost as excited as I was to see the Z in person/running :)

Ok, now the moment everyone has been holding out for, pics (vids to come, will take some time to upload and link via YouTube, although engine start video is available). Images/video link are as follows:
IMG_0036 [edit].jpg
IMG_0037 [edit].jpg
IMG_0040 [edit].jpg
IMG_0044 [edit].jpg
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0058 [edit].jpg
IMG_0066 [edit].jpg
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0083 [edit].jpg
ENGINE START VIDEO

So that's it for now... Moving forward, Damon (dattodevil) will identify anything that needs to be addressed and actioned prior to October. For now, I know I need to sort/source the following:

- Paint (original paint/respray less than desirable and will need attention, although not urgent, and a chunk of paint is missing from LH front guard, but doesn't bother me)
- Missing chrome strip from drivers door window (without it means glass wobbles a little while driving)
- Missing round emblem from LH side rear pillar (sure I can source these new or second hand via eBay)
- Missing complete heater assembly from inside car (was in the throes of becoming a classic track/race car, so understandable - I won't require it either)
- Missing passenger door window winder handle (another item I am sure I can source new or second hand via eBay)
- Passenger seat has no seatbelt (will need this if anyone wan't to come for a cruise)
- Tacho does not work
- Speedo backlight does't work
- Drivers seat is a race seat and too small for me (may look for another, or alternatively, re-install a factory seat, but keep the already installed 4 point harness)
- Fuel leak (this is due to a 1cm split in the rubber hose from the petrol inlet to fuel tank inlet. For now I don't fill up the tank past 1/3, replacement required)

If anyone has any of the above, do let us know and hopefully we can sort something out. Also keen on any spares anyone may no longer need :)

Well, I better wrap this up. For now, the following are a couple of YouTube clips Kitch recorded and supplied initially (while I wait for mine to upload and then edit):

240Z WALKAROUND VIDEO
240Z TEST DRIVE VIDEO

Now leave me alone! :lol:

Regards,

- Braasy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by braasmonkey on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Just look at that smile on the "Engine Start" Video :lol:

Vnice Car BTW.. Looks very nice. Nice find
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
joelbrown
Financial Member
aka: Joel

Post by joelbrown »

Very awesome, you must be so stoked. love the race look with the rollcage, tough ass. Very jealous!

I saw a 240 recently with the head-light surround /light buckets painted flat black, looked neat (just a thort/ramble)

Congrats on a great purchase :highfive:
1990 1200 ute
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: BRAASY'S 1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE

Post by Datto_610 »

Awesome! I was way off! Had my fingers crossed it was a 180B wagon haha. Congrats man very sweet ride.
damz721
Financial Member
aka: Damian

Post by damz721 »

Can see the excitement on ur face! Such a sweet ride dude !! :drool:
- 77 B210 S/W
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

Nice. Who doesn't love a nice 240?
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Very nice Braasy, that is one sexy car, from any angle.
What ignition system is it running, if its not factory that may be the reason the Tach isn't working.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Sweet ride man, good job!

Looks like a 280ZX electronic dizzy. Does it have a non factory crank pulley too? I'm assuming that's an L28 in it?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread