Sandeep's 1600 Project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
maddat1
Financial Member

Re: Sandeep's 1600 Project

Post by maddat1 »

Good on you that finally you have the car which you wanted.
I wonder when was the last datto made it out of south island to north island...they just dont wana let it go...lol
DATY12
Regular
aka: Kev

Post by DATY12 »

suped wrote:7 November 2015 (5 years later...)

Hey guys, I moved back from London about 3-4 months ago. Long story short, I saw this come up for sale and bought it right away.

Haha I am more than stoked. I flew down to Christchurch and drove it up to Auckland (haha yeah you heard right! Sorry boys). She made it up from Welly to Auckland on one tank!

Bit of info on the car:
- 1969 510
- Standard L16
- 5 speed gearbox
- Original interior except for WRX seats up front (but it came with the ripped original seats as well)
- Panel and paint done in the past 5 or so years, body is mint
- Came with a spare gearbox and rebuilt L16 SSS (engine is still down in Chch, anyone know of a good way to send it up?)

Plans:
- Keep the essence of the car as original as possible
- Swap the WRX seats for the originals
- Have the rebuilt SSS engine checked out and drop her in
- Some music would be nice (will do a stealthy install without cutting anything)
- Make sure it has the right 1969 badges (does anyone have pics?)

Things I need to buy (would really appreciate your help):
- 2x original front seats without rips
- Indicator assembly
- Any missing 1969 badges, the red 'D' grille badge in particular

Looks like the club has grown quite a bit up here in the North Island. Catching up with Mohit this week and hopefully the rest of the gang some time soon.

Come say hi if you see me, it's now my daily drive.

Here are some more pics from the trip up.

It's nice to be back :)

As for the old car, don't want to dwell on it but click here for more info.

Glad to see this ended up in good hands, my old work mate in Timaru used to own this car,he is a perfectionist in his late 40s and a great engineer.
It was technically his wifes car and it was painted no more than 3 years ago.
He sold it the middle of this year to the person you bought it from
Quite funny as I always told him that he should put hubcaps and whitewall tyres on it, glad to see the next owner did.
Datsuns I've owned
Datsun Sunny x 4
Datsun 1200 Sedan
Datsun 1200 Roadstar Ute
-Current
Datsun C20 Vanette
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Have the grill badge but you will also need the correct grill, your one is a later model one. I might have a grill also but will need to check. Your guard indicators are also wrong, they are also from a later model 1600. The right ones are a bit hard to find as they only came on the 68-69 models. Only have a few outer lenses of those and not the whole assembly. The indicator assembly is available on ebay.com.
The attached picture shows the grill, badge and indicators. If you double click on the picture it should get bigger and show more clearly what I mean.Hope that helps.

suped wrote:7 November 2015 (5 years later...)

Hey guys, I moved back from London about 3-4 months ago. Long story short, I saw this come up for sale and bought it right away.

Haha I am more than stoked. I flew down to Christchurch and drove it up to Auckland (haha yeah you heard right! Sorry boys). She made it up from Welly to Auckland on one tank!

Bit of info on the car:
- 1969 510
- Standard L16
- 5 speed gearbox
- Original interior except for WRX seats up front (but it came with the ripped original seats as well)
- Panel and paint done in the past 5 or so years, body is mint
- Came with a spare gearbox and rebuilt L16 SSS (engine is still down in Chch, anyone know of a good way to send it up?)

Plans:
- Keep the essence of the car as original as possible
- Swap the WRX seats for the originals
- Have the rebuilt SSS engine checked out and drop her in
- Some music would be nice (will do a stealthy install without cutting anything)
- Make sure it has the right 1969 badges (does anyone have pics?)

Things I need to buy (would really appreciate your help):
- 2x original front seats without rips
- Indicator assembly
- Any missing 1969 badges, the red 'D' grille badge in particular

Looks like the club has grown quite a bit up here in the North Island. Catching up with Mohit this week and hopefully the rest of the gang some time soon.

Come say hi if you see me, it's now my daily drive.

Here are some more pics from the trip up.

It's nice to be back :)

As for the old car, don't want to dwell on it but click here for more info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suped
Regular
aka: Sandeep

Post by suped »

DATY12 wrote:Glad to see this ended up in good hands, my old work mate in Timaru used to own this car,he is a perfectionist in his late 40s and a great engineer.
It was technically his wifes car and it was painted no more than 3 years ago.
He sold it the middle of this year to the person you bought it from
Quite funny as I always told him that he should put hubcaps and whitewall tyres on it, glad to see the next owner did.
Thanks for that Kev, it's reassuring to hear that things were done properly. And yep, loving the white walls. Gutted that they're yellowing quite a bit, I think the previous owner had them painted while they were pretty new (apparently they tend to discolour within the first 3000 km). Might have to get them redone in a bit.
suped
Regular

Post by suped »

chris_g1 wrote:Have the grill badge but you will also need the correct grill, your one is a later model one. I might have a grill also but will need to check. Your guard indicators are also wrong, they are also from a later model 1600. The right ones are a bit hard to find as they only came on the 68-69 models. Only have a few outer lenses of those and not the whole assembly. The indicator assembly is available on ebay.com.
The attached picture shows the grill, badge and indicators. If you double click on the picture it should get bigger and show more clearly what I mean.Hope that helps.
Thanks Chris! That's a massive help.

1969 Grille and Badge
Haha yeah I'm in denial about my grille, since the current one is pretty tidy. Would be great if you could dig it up for me and a spare badge (only if you're happy to sell them).

1969 Indicators / Side Markers
Thanks for that, I had no idea at all. I'll keep an eye out.
I found a pretty good thread for anyone else that's interested:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1969 Indicator Assembly / Turn Signal Switch
I've found a second hand one on that has a button on it which apparently activates the high beams. Did we get that option in NZ? I'll probably buy it since it's a bit cheaper than the NOS ones.

Thanks again - love this club.
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Definitely have the grill badge but remembered I'd already sold the 69 grill a while ago.
As for the cheaper indicator assembly if I was you I would buy the dearer one as most, if not all, 1600's in NZ don't have the wiring to suit the headlight flasher button on the end. Also, I bought the new one and it is great. Over time they tend to get loose and floppy so why not go new and get one that's going to be around for a long time.
Cheers.

suped wrote:
chris_g1 wrote:Have the grill badge but you will also need the correct grill, your one is a later model one. I might have a grill also but will need to check. Your guard indicators are also wrong, they are also from a later model 1600. The right ones are a bit hard to find as they only came on the 68-69 models. Only have a few outer lenses of those and not the whole assembly. The indicator assembly is available on ebay.com.

1969 Grille and Badge
Haha yeah I'm in denial about my grille, since the current one is pretty tidy. Would be great if you could dig it up for me and a spare badge (only if you're happy to sell them).

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've found a second hand one on that has a button on it which apparently activates the high beams. Did we get that option in NZ? I'll probably buy it since it's a bit cheaper than the NOS ones.

chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

chris_g1 wrote:Definitely have the grill badge but remembered I'd already sold the 69 grill a while ago.
As for the cheaper indicator assembly if I was you I would buy the dearer one as most, if not all, 1600's in NZ don't have the wiring to suit the headlight flasher button on the end. Also, I bought the new one and it is great. Over time they tend to get loose and floppy so why not go new and get one that's going to be around for a long time. I think also there should be a 'Deluxe' badge under the right rear tail light. Think I've got one of those somewhere too.
Cheers.

suped wrote:

1969 Grille and Badge

suped
Regular

Post by suped »

chris_g1 wrote:Definitely have the grill badge but remembered I'd already sold the 69 grill a while ago.
As for the cheaper indicator assembly if I was you I would buy the dearer one as most, if not all, 1600's in NZ don't have the wiring to suit the headlight flasher button on the end. Also, I bought the new one and it is great. Over time they tend to get loose and floppy so why not go new and get one that's going to be around for a long time. I think also there should be a 'Deluxe' badge under the right rear tail light. Think I've got one of those somewhere too.
Cheers.
Sweet man I'll hit you up about the badges. Haha yeah I better just get the NOS one, replacing mine as it's floppy as. Just thought the button could be nifty, but makes sense if we don't have the wiring.
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

suped wrote:
Cheers.
Sweet man I'll hit you up about the badges. Haha yeah I better just get the NOS one, replacing mine as it's floppy as. Just thought the button could be nifty, but makes sense if we don't have the wiring.

Pictures of the badges plus picture to show where "Deluxe" badge goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.