Post by Miguel sss »

More news!!!

:useless:
suped
Regular
aka: Sandeep

Re: Sandeep's 1600 Project

Post by suped »

I've finally sorted some shit out, the car is leaving my mates shed tonight to temp storage for a week. My last uni exam is on Tuesday so I'll bring her up for quotes then.
Hopefully get the body sorted before I gap to Europe for my backpacking adventure mid-December.

I don't know a hell of a lot so need a hand with the wheels I'm choosing..
Going for the JDM look and really keen on these Work Equip 03's:

Don't know of any 1600s in NZ with those wheels, so would be nice to be a bit different.

What I need help with is size and offset etc. I want them to be really deep dish in the back (like the rim in the pic) and decent amount of dish in front :) the car will be pretty sacked, but tastefully so.
So what numbers are we looking at? Oh and I'm guessing 14-15" would be ideal? Will I have to flare the guards or anything for them to fit?

Is there any way to have them made and sent from Japan, or would there be decently-dished ones available on the auctions?

Cheers guys!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Ohhh, them wheels is purdy!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

i really think it would pay to buy directky from jap land. that way you have full choice of size, offset etc. you could by from yahoo japan, but may take a while to find the correct size etc. have a look at various other 1600 out there to see what kinda sizes they run to see what looks and what doesnt. also if you doo go pretty low, be aware of the massive rear camber problems.

i wouldnt go any bigger than 15 or smaller than 14.

here are some inspirational shots for ya

my pick for wheels are the ones in the 1st pic, hayashi streetfins
this one has a good stance for the size of the wheels
and this is what the rear should look like
suped
Regular

Post by suped »

Yeah that's the look I'm after :D

Was always intending on Hayashi Street Fins but then saw these haha. Anyone have contacts in Japan?
Yeah I'll hit up some forums and see what fitment seems best.
Flauski
Financial Member

Post by Flauski »

The only place you are realistically going to be able to get the wheels for a decent price is Yahoo Auctions / Trademe. 14s or 15s are best and most old school wheels only come in 13-15 anyway.

You will not get the dish in your picture without either having flares or modifying your suspension significantly. The lower the offset the better which means the closer to 0 or a negative number, the more dish. Some cars will take a 0 offset without mods, unsure on 1600 but using the rear camber will be necessary. Look at my thread and you will see my wheels. I think the front are +12 offset and rears are +6 from memory?

Be aware that buying some of these wheels new is possible (where you will be able to pick offset) BUT price is hurrendous
Expect to pay no less than $3500+ for just wheels, not including shipping which whill be at least another 500-1000.

There is one dude in NZ who is the "NZ Distributor" for Work/Volk/Rays wheels but he is a rip off (expect 4000 for wheels) and hopeless to deal with. Trust me I have tried many times when I managed Mag and Turbo in Wellington.

Second hand on Yahoo Japan is the best option although heaps of other people are onto this method. 5 years ago, dirt cheap, heaps of options. Now days where everyone has the same idea, the really good condition wheels with the micky offsets go for large prices and get snapped up quick. You have to pretty much search every couple of days and you will still need an agent (that can speak Japanese) to buy them on your behalf. I have used Ewan from http://www.hayatonka.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, he is a kiwi and is the man!

Still expect to pay around $1500-2000 landed for an average set. You dont want them with tyres or will cost you way more in freight due to weight. You will also get stung with having to pay duty/taxes when they land because the value is over $500 NZD. so thats another 12.5% at least of their value you will have to pay to customs. Me and a couple others have been lucky, mine came in the boot of a car that was imported and another mate who lives in Japan brought them with him when he returned to NZ therefore avoiding the tax.

If I didnt already have my SSRs I would look on trademe, cheaper and still nice wheels come up. Here are some Work Equip 01s - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =251090306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
My 5 cents.
suped
Regular

Post by suped »

Holy! Thanks so much for your reply Flauski, looks like I'll be hitting Yahoo Japan because I still love those 03's.
Will talk to my panel beater about the flares.. hmm guess I should get the wheels before I start panel work?

Here's the latest update on the car (my mate's ex has all the photos during the car's stripping, I'll put them up here.. if she ever sends them).

I've been away for the past 7 weeks backpacking around Europe and the USA so that's why I've been slack (just got back yesterday!).

20th December 2009

Had the rolling shell transported to dad's client's warehouse up here in Auckland from where it was transported to CA Levien Sandblasters.
This is what she looked like after the blast and ready for primer:

Came out pretty nicely, not too many horrors under the paint.

Here's after primer:

The bonnet and boot lid were acid dipped just in case the blasting warped them.

Hoping to choose a colour soon and get the panel and paint done by the same crew that did the primer. They've won quite a few awards and cost quite a bit but thought I'd get it done properly once and for all.

Thinking of a nice blue, any ideas guys?!

Cheers :D
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

agree with the blue, like the 1600 up the top of the page
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Although you're taking the harder and more expensive route by doing things properly, at least you'll know that you wont get nasty rust rearing its ugly head 6 months after the paint goes on.
Good on you! :beer:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
bent 1200
Financial Member
aka: Brent

Post by bent 1200 »

:agree: Blue on the top page is awesome

and the car looks like a really good one for the age :D

good luck and keep up the good work :beer: