Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Post by Datto_610 »

Thanks Ivan it sure will!

Ok so got stuck in again on saturday and got the clutch plate aligned and fitted, also while I had her jacked up I thought it was a good idea to commence weight reduction stage 1 haha and remove the LPG copper line that ran from the engine bay to just by the fuel tank. Maybe I can get a few bucks from it?? Fitted new seals to the front and rear of the gearbox, took a rather artistic shot of the rear seal if I don't say so myself. Also gave the box a good clean with some degreaser although it's still a little grubby but much better than it was. Picked up my brand new clutch fork boot from Scott at Nissan on friday, last one in the country stoked!!
Got a speedo drive seal from Saeco but it's only slightly too small so will take that back tomorrow. So I'm pretty much ready to put the box in but can't put oil in til I get the speedo seal sorted but so much closer! I also have my eye on a few bits which I hope to acquire with the payout from leaving chch metal finishers :D

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Almost forgot to mention that the spigot bush is also fitted! Went in with no issues, unlike the one in the CA :/
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nice work Greg.

One question though - have you put the manual and auto side by side next to each other? It could be an optical illusion, but it appears to me that the the distance from the front of the bellhousing to the gearbox crossmember is different between the auto and manual.

Of course I could be wrong, in which case disregard this comment and crack on with the rest of the swap.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Very good question John! I'll look at that today........ I also, like you mentioned last week compared the speedo drive gears, they seem to be identical :D
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I hope you removed the flex plate spacer from the crank? John is right, there is only one length of auto box, you might need a new driveshaft and mount.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Yep removed the spacer snout thing for the flex plate - it come off a LOT easier than a VG one!

I can't remember if the "short" R30 and "long" 280ZX etc type 5 speeds definitely have the mount in different positions relative to the bellhousing, but if they do (I'm about 75% sure they do) then you can have my long 5 speed in exchange for that short one as long as it works.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I'd be interested in seeing what the mount from the auto box looks like.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

The mounts on both boxes look identical I also have the shorter manual driveshaft. I do recall measuring both cars before Brock took the box out and the measurement from bellhousing to mount was the same will double check tonight.

Edit: By shorter I meant longer driveshaft....
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

broke wrote:Nice work Greg.

One question though - have you put the manual and auto side by side next to each other? It could be an optical illusion, but it appears to me that the the distance from the front of the bellhousing to the gearbox crossmember is different between the auto and manual.

Of course I could be wrong, in which case disregard this comment and crack on with the rest of the swap.
Your eyes must be getting tired old man! Measured yesterday and both boxes are 535mm from bellhousing to centre of gearbox mount :D
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Was that a nervous double checking Greg?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............