Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Post by Datto_610 »

Hahaha yes that needs to be done too, but need to finish the other Datsun first!
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Fuel gauge is fixed!! Whipped the sender out and had a look at it but didn't really know how to tell if it was faulty or not. Had another look under the dash and saw a loose wire that was the same colour as the one for the sender, took a gamble and hooked it back up turned key and presto! Fuel gauge works. What's even more awesome is that I have about 1/2 a tank left. Something less awesome happened yesterday though... Hopped in the Laurel on my lunch break to get my rims for the 180 off Brock and noticed the front screen was leaking water inside!!!(was pissing down in chch yesterday) Water is coming through from the top and dripping onto steering wheel and me not happy. Grabbed a big tarp from work and chucked it on as soon as I got home. Had a better look today while the weather was nicer and looks like the whole outer seal needs replacing the chrome trim is quite loose, want to get it sorted asap. Anyone know of any good places to go in chch that won't sting the wallet too badly??

85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Mad Jealous of the super lush comfort Cruising machine.

was really cool and quiet and smooth riding in it on Rakia Cruise

easily the smoothest car i have ever been in, over and above new school cars. :D
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Oh James your too kind. I have some C32 pillarless window seals to replace my ones. Looks like they will fit up just fine just need to get round to doing it. Also want to get the fuel mixture adjusted as it's chewing through the gas :cry: and blowing black smoke.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

What are the plugs like Greg?
Datsuns from A to Zed
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Now's definitely the time to get the windscreen and side window sealing sorted before winter hits! Nice work with the gauge, it's great when difficult-seeming problems turn out to be easy.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

New Plugs, Points (if it has them) and condenser - new leads if they are old.

Then hit it with a timing light and ajust the mixture to suit.

All 6 cylinder L series do suck gas - the 260C (brown one) and the C231 (L20E) Laurel i had were pretty thirsty. I can almost guarantee if you put an l28 in it with a single carb to suit it will use less than an l20 - just because it doesnt work as hard.

Also a manual conversion will improve fuel consumption no end :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: .

PS probably stating the obvious and i know you dont want to spend $$ on it :) :)
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Haha yes John bang on there with winter coming up soon I did put some sealant around the front screen before Rakaia but am yet to check the waterproofness. I bought new plugs a while back but after pulling the first lead off the little metal part that is meant to stay in the lead was still attached to the spark plug :oops: Luckily James lent me one off his Z31 to get me going. Checked the spark plug and it appeared to operating normally no carbon or oil fouling. Didn't want to check the rest just incase I repeated what I had done to the first. So could just need to check timing and adjust fuel/air mixture?? Manual conversion would be great but love just cruising in an auto for round town. The 180B will be the fun car :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Datto_610 wrote:Haha yes John bang on there with winter coming up soon I did put some sealant around the front screen before Rakaia but am yet to check the waterproofness. I bought new plugs a while back but after pulling the first lead off the little metal part that is meant to stay in the lead was still attached to the spark plug :oops: Luckily James lent me one off his Z31 to get me going. Checked the spark plug and it appeared to operating normally no carbon or oil fouling. Didn't want to check the rest just incase I repeated what I had done to the first. So could just need to check timing and adjust fuel/air mixture?? Manual conversion would be great but love just cruising in an auto for round town. The 180B will be the fun car :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

That may be half your issue - the leads maybe not up to scratch (old and tired) if the end came off when removing. If you call into bnt on a sat morning you can pic them out and change them individually so you get the right sizes and dont loose the firing order.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Took the C31 for it's first wof whilst in my ownership. Only failed on front brake pads so pretty chuffed with that. Getting some in overnight through BNT so all going to plan they'll be in tomorrow. Was having a look at the carb the other night and noticed some slack in the choke cable adjusted that up a bit also noticed that the vac advance hose going to the carb had split and was no longer attached :shock: have no idea how long it had been like that for possibly the whole time I've had it? It was running super rich when I got it still is really but got some new vac hose and all appears to be well :D
Was good to know if I needed anything done on this as I'm taking this up on the top of the South Island cruise to Nelson and Blenheim for queens birthday weekend and brakes are the last thing you want to fail while driving on hills! Wof inspector noted that it had some rust repairs done in it's lifetime said it look all gravy to him but someone else might not think so. Also have some superficial rust coming through on one of the sills so will get sorted at some stage too. Would really like it of one of the L6 gurus could get the ole L24 running a bit better is a real pain to warm up at the moment although now I've replaced the vac advance hose things may improve somewhat.