Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's C31 Laurel Pillarless Sedan

Post by Datto_610 »

Hahaha na I was pretty confident that when I measured up both cars while the gear boxes were still in them that it was all good.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Jesse(Tlssunny) from Saeco sorted me with the speedo drive seal thanks again man! Just need an O ring which my mate will get for me.
Who needs a press when you have an angle grinder?? Got the old release bearing off and new one installed and fitted to gearbox!

Started fitting the gearbox to the engine, I'm about 80% sure that the spline is located but I can't seem to get box fully fitted :/ I need longer bolts for the bellhousing too as the manual housing is thicker than the auto, will got to Blacks tomorrow and get some longer ones will they need to be high tensile??????

Shit Labour weekend is coming up fast, going to need to put in some big hours in the next few weeks! Will buy new shock inserts after work, order ali radiator and a few other things too.

Made a start on fitting the JDM seat belts tonight as well gonna be so lush!
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Make sure you have your exhaust disconnected so the engine can sit back more and make it easier to line up
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Also be sure to apply a lick of grease to your input shaft where is mates into the spigot bush too.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Gee it's been a while since I've updated this!! Long story short I managed to get the manual conversion finished, lowered on riyums and fitted an aluminium radiator all before the Akaroa cruise last year. Had a few hiccups like the R32 skyline front shocks(second hand) I put in the back to lower it were coozed so I was smacking on the ground heaps :x also blew a coolant hose getting back into chch after the cruise too, luckily had a spare that had been in the center console since I've owned it! She sat around for a while so I could figure out this rear suspension issue, tried S13 rear struts but that raised it :roll: so went with brand new KYB R32 front shocks and that's definitely made an improvement but may still need stiffer springs as I do scrape over the odd bump etc. Went on the Rakaia cruise a few weeks back which was a blast goes so much better with the 5spd! I made a new parcel tray thing too as the original was poked.

Treated the ignition system with a bit of a birthday recently with a new set of leads, dizzy cap, rotor and condensor. I got new points a year and bit a go so they should be fine may need re-gapping though, plugs could probably do with checking over just in case.

Short term plan at this stage is daily it while I get the 180B done

Long term plan would be fit the disc brake rear end from Leppas old C31, maybe cv rear axle? extractors and slightly bigger exhaust, I got a conversion kit off DJZ a while back to make a SR I/R alt fit to the L24 Still not 100% set on what to do engine wise but would defo like to keep it L series.

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Okie dokie who in chch is keen to help me give the old L24 a tune up set timing and points etc as when I turn it off it sometimes fires again and then turns off.... really need to look at the rear end and axles too get pretty bad vibration slowing down at high speeds. I'm wanting to sell this at some point soon... getting a bit over it to be honest and want to focus on the 180B so if you're interested let me know!
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

YOU KNOW ME GREG, ALWAYS KEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

I can help throw a multimeter around the dizzy if you get stuck.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

I'm happy to help you throw your points and condenser in the bin after you buy one of those cheap electronic ignition conversion kits off trademe (or fit a factory EI dizzy).
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Hahahahaha thanks John but not wanting to spend more money on this unless I have to ie to fix something that dun broke not upgrade something that ain't!