dylans 910 wagon

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: dylans 910 wagon

Post by dirtyleppa »

i did it as was dead cheap, and i dont have the skill/effort to make one like andy.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

well this is what happens when you drive down an unfamiliar road at night in the rain with a chin spoiler that you completely forgot you had. speed humps somehow come at you pretty fast when you dont know the road.

im not really to fussed and considering the little effort i put into fitting it and only being held on by cable ties, it hasnt come out too bad. will angle it more flat to give me a bit more clearance.
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

oh bugger, I know all about speed humps, so I feel your pain
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

help me out people, i need advice :? ive been thinking about my poobird and laurel abit of late and i dont know what to do.

after driving the bluebird alot lately, ive noticed how shit it is under 3000rpm. it coughs and backfires abit, but not too bad but it is just real flat and lathergic, kinda like me :lol:

ive been temted to throw my twin SU carbs to see if that makes a difference. but then i thought fuck that i xhould just fit a ca into it. and here in lies my problem!!!

the laurel has been off the road for god knows how long has no engine/box. the plan was to throw in a lexus v8 and 5 speed etc but trying to save coin is near impossible. i dont want to get rid of it as its not worth anything as it is, but if i did, then i could attack the bluebird with a ca and have a fun, reliable, practical wagon.

the down side of doing this is that i wont have a car to join cruises with, but then again, it would be cheaper to do than the laurel

SO PLEASE HELP, IM IN NEED OF SOME ONE ELSES PESPECTIVE
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

If you pull the bluebird apart would it end up sitting for ages like the laurel?
Would you get enough for the laurel to finish the ca conversion start to finish, if not you might run the risk of the same thing happening with the bluebird. What are you like at sticking to a plan? If you had all the bts required to start with could you just modify those things and leave it. I can't. Thats why my "put and sr in it and panel it and paint it" project is 4+ years in with me still cutting things out! I definitely couldn't do the multiple projects thing, i'd never finish anything :)

If you were willing to just modify the bare minimum required things to get the motor in and running (mounts, wiring, driveshaft, cert) and leave everything else as is and could stick to that plan then yeah i'd do the bluebird.
Its a tough one for sure I sympathise completely!
If you go that way and need a hand with mounting the motor give me a yell I'll come weld stuff and drink beer
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

well lets see, i dont think i could get much, if anything for the laurel as it is, so if it did go it would likely end up scrap. there are some usable parts on it like rear subframe, disc brake rear end, front and rear struts and longnose r200.

as far as sticking to a plan, not sure, never really bothered/ been smart enough to do one. i dont think the bluebird would take longer than the laurel as i could more than likely get a complete ca18 engine and box for less than the lexus. it would be a much easier to fit the ca in than a great V8, parts are cheaper and more plentiful, and there are a few people with some decent know how when it comes to them.

decisions, decisions :| :roll: :crazy: :deadhorse:
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

dude, ive been in this moment so many times!!!

you love the laurel, hold on to it, and just keep chipping away at it while you save! ive been meaning to send you pics of those r200 companion flanges you asked about, sorry!

keep the bluebird as a cheap reliable daily, dont let it distract you from your main project.
sounds like the bluebird needs a tuneup, may even have a suspect throttle pump, should be easy to sort.

im chronic for getting distracted with other datsuns and females. my 1600 ive had for 6years, and this year is the first time ive actually started building it into what i want from it! and now that ive started, im addicted and want to keep going!

build the laurel, and enjoy crusing in your 910 wagon, you get the best of both worlds!!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Get the bluebird running properly. Give the SU's a birthday, and get it running really nice. The SU's wont have the flow to really make the L20B breathe at the top end, but when set up preoperly, they are a VERY smooth economical and responsive caburator. Once the 910 is a happy chappy, hock off the toyota, and invest the money in the laurel.
If you don't have the know to make the SU's go properly, I can put you onto a guy who might be able to help. He is in business, but he knows SU's (well the pommy ones anyway) inside out. if your 910 doesn't have weak compressions/doesn't burn mad oil, then it should be able to be made to run sweetly.

You should at least be able get enough for your toyota to buy the new engine for your laurel. And then your motivation will soar! :beer:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

The laural way rarer. Do that maybe with a different engine for the mean time, you can always get another wagon.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

the thing is, if i kept the laurel, i would stil fit the v8 as i really want i loud, gnarly v8. then the wagon would still be kept, but will need a good going over to get it running properly.

damn it to hell. why cant we all be rich :roll: