1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Re: 1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Post by Tony_Whenua »

Just been home to work on new project sedan.

Here are some pics

After looking over car I am missing: Radiator, Distributor, Starter, gearbox-engine bolts, crossmmember (engine+gBox) bolts, gearstick, and something else. The joys of taking over a project. Apart from that it looks pretty good.

Just need to avoid family so I can get stuff done on it.
"Dude you're like 30 degrees retarded" - Chris_g1 & 2 Doors
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

Nice wee project there.
looks sound enough. cool that it has coupe dash in it too

I can help you out with all those parts you require, other than maybe the engine x-member.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

Kitch wrote:Nice wee project there.
looks sound enough. cool that it has coupe dash in it too.
I can help you out with all those parts you require, other than maybe the engine x-member.
Yeah coupe dash was a win!
Currently trying to track down original parts that where on it but proving to be difficult. Family had 2 datsuns in shed but sold one, so im guessing that new owner took extra parts.
Dont need x-member itself but just the bolts and nuts. Will just get new ones.
Apart from what i can buy off chris_g1 and manage to scramble, I'll contact you for Kitch.
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Nice!
I love 1200 sedans whats the plans for it,Maybe rebuild the a12 :popcorn:
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

darrenwilson wrote:Nice!
I love 1200 sedans whats the plans for it,Maybe rebuild the a12 :popcorn:
Plans are slow at this stage, had difficulty getting onto doing anything as time was short and family demanded my time.
Ideas/plans are engine and g/box are going to a family friend called :dodgy" :| to look over ha-ha, Na he's all good.
Engine may end up in the ute. Car and other bits are going to have to wait at this stage.

Now that I'm back in the south island, I've brought down some coupe struts to put in the Ute.
Will get all new brake parts etc and do front and back together.

Leppa you up'to much, Want to lend your expertise??

looking forward to having them in before top of the south cruise!!
DATY12
Regular
aka: Kev

Post by DATY12 »

Nice Sedan project!

I think I recognise this from Palmerston North from a few years back, The Mayhem Performance sticker is also a give away, it was a speed shop that was around in the early 2000's

Lucky man having a sedan and a ute to play with and swap parts as required!.
Datsuns I've owned
Datsun Sunny x 4
Datsun 1200 Sedan
Datsun 1200 Roadstar Ute
-Current
Datsun C20 Vanette
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

DATY12 wrote:Nice Sedan project!

I think I recognise this from Palmerston North from a few years back, The Mayhem Performance sticker is also a give away, it was a speed shop that was around in the early 2000's

Lucky man having a sedan and a ute to play with and swap parts as required!.
Haha yeah Mayhem Performance, I use to hang out the back as I helped out at Levett and Mooney Panelbeaters when I was a wee lad!
When sedan was running (before brother blew engine) it had the whole "sticker" theme that all the boy racers seemed to rock with.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

So I had a massive night in the shed and for some one of my skill, done and learnt a lot.
What would take you pros a couple of minutes took me a couple of hours but it was fun
Here is what I have done. Your ideas, solutions overly appreciated.

Got current struts out, Springs off and had a look over. These struts have been cut all over the place to allow for 17inch wheels and also the strut tube thingy has been shortened.
ImageImage

Got Brake calipers off and stripped them down and managed to clean most of the rust, grime and old brake oil out.

Noticed that brake lines are in different locations from drum to disc. Do I just bend the lines to fit or do I need to sort some coupe ones?
Looking at getting new strut tubes shortened again but hopefully get a better job done than black ones.
What's the legal dealio here?

When I fit the 17's on too, the wheels rub on the bottom of the spring tower thingy. Is it okay to cut a chunk out here like the black ones?
Time to ditch 17's for 15's?

I cant get the centre cap piece out of caliper piston A. Any ideas how I to it? Is it a matter of pliers and pull?
I pulled all the pistons out, rubbers and ring clips etc and managed to do it properly even taping up Piston B as to not confuse with Piston A as they are supposedly deferent.

when I stripped one of the brakes down there was one of these clip things missing from one side. Any one got one of these lying around?

Can I take the 4 bolts off that hold the disc rotor to the wheel bearing, or are they hard to put back together? Will they need balancing etc after or is it easy as?

Plans are:
-bush kit for the hole front suspension. Best place to get these, Repco, Basis, BnT???
-Unsure about cutting strut yet ... opinions???
-Switch over rear brake cylinder with coupe one I got from repco.
-When rolling she's off to shed to get rust cut out!
-Some prepsol to soak clean pistons, rubbers etc.
Scrub and paint brake callipers.
mitey1200
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mitey1200 »

I would be getting some new struts and getting bodies shortened to suit Toyota tercel or VW mk1 golf inserts. And would say cutting a hole in strut like that would definately be a WOF issue. That wee plate thing looks like its off back of brake pad, just an anti squeal pad. If you can find another one put it in but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. New brake pads usually come with new ones anyway ;)
Annnnnd in my opinion don't go bigger than 15s :D
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Grind off the spring keepers and buy these cheap sleeve kits:
http://www.otomoto.com.au/c/4037307/1/sleeve-kits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That should solve your mag clearance issue and give you height adjustment at the same time.
My orangatang 510 here.