1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: 1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Post by Kitch »

yeah they are the way to go Ginge IMO.

Thats what I am running, nice gear, good price, and easy install.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

searched for hsd sleeve kit images on google and got this

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if I did this sort of set up whats the cost looking at?
$300au for kits
+ import cost (?)
+ will have to get adjustable camber plates right
$90au

engineering costs ...
whats else???

Need to do some research before I do this as I'd have no idea about how long it would take to get the girl road worthy again....plus I want to make Hanmer or definitely at least Akaroa

Kitch reckon you could pm me what these cost you to set up???
"Dude you're like 30 degrees retarded" - Chris_g1 & 2 Doors
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

My Front strut setup:
- HSD Sleeve kit cost me NZ$420 landed, note that when dealing with ottmoto, tell
them its for export and they will waive the gst component of the price :mrgreen:
- Shortened the strut casings & welded the Sleeves on (mate did this for $50)
- Monroe VW Rabbit inserts $340
- D2 Camber plates $250 ish
- Obviously done S13 front brake conversion & running Roll centre adjuster spacers

There are other cheaper options for these components, but this is what
I put together about 3 years back... hope it helps

Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

Okay so I'm stuck.

I was hoping to use the shocks out of the black struts but they are about 2 - 3 ml bigger than the orange ones. Plus I can't get them out of the black struts as they seem to have been wedged in there before they welded it together. I'm stuck for ideas as I don't want to spend dollars and have to get car certed etc with adj. suspension. I was aiming to get some cheapish 15's and get the orange struts to previous height. Is it possible if I get coupe strut tubes shortened and then just re-threaded. Get shocks shortened (is this possible) and then put it all back together?

What do I need to do?
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

You could just go with the old, choked down shock inserts & avenger springs like what Luke was doing recently,
and like I did with the 120Y I had a few months ago?

Bart & Mint16 & the likes will have some ideas I imagine.
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Another way (which is what I think Il end up doing) is just cutting a section out of the factory strut (say 2") then welding the threaded section back on. You can then get shortershock inserts and then it all "appears" unmodified.

I know a number of people that shorten the strut this way when making adjustible setups.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

beaver wrote:Another way (which is what I think Il end up doing) is just cutting a section out of the factory strut (say 2") then welding the threaded section back on. You can then get shortershock inserts and then it all "appears" unmodified.

I know a number of people that shorten the strut this way when making adjustible setups.
But wouldn't it be tidier to get it re-threaded? or just an extra cost
Any ideas on what the shorter shock inserts would be?
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

Kitch wrote:You could just go with the old, choked down shock inserts & avenger springs like what Luke was doing recently,
and like I did with the 120Y I had a few months ago?
I think I asked Chris_g1 about this. Would doing this mean less travel etc for the springs and might lead to bottoming out etc??
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Tony_Whenua wrote:
beaver wrote:Another way (which is what I think Il end up doing) is just cutting a section out of the factory strut (say 2") then welding the threaded section back on. You can then get shortershock inserts and then it all "appears" unmodified.

But wouldn't it be tidier to get it re-threaded? or just an extra cost
Any ideas on what the shorter shock inserts would be?
I think there is a reason for taking a section out rather than rethreading, ill see if I can find out/remember. I have been told n13 pulsars have the same diamater shock, just ~2" shorter. also early vw golfs as well I think, people seem to use them. But just have a look through say a kyb or monroe shock catalouge and find something that suits.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

If you Only shorten the piston that leads to issues with lack of travel and bottoming. But you can usually shorten a decent amount as long as you use stiffer springs.

If you shorten the strut "tube" and fit an shorter insert you can have the same amount of travel as before while keeping a lower ride height.

Hope you get it all sorted tony, Also if your interested in going the threaded sleeve route the Jamex kits on trade me might look cheap and nasty in the picture but the kit is actually really good quality. Mine are going sweet one year on.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30