TUFDAT Datsun 120Y - Now in Hibernation.

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
fletch
Financial Member

Re: TUFDAT FJ20ET Datsun 120Y

Post by fletch »

that rear subframe could be a headache to mount?

a pommy geezer put gtr running gear into a 120y in the uk. He used the gtr floorpan, lots of pics here http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/155809-fast-datsun-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or on oldschool i saw someone narrow a s13/gtr subframe to fit a mx5 i think. might have been mjrstar
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Hey dude, yea the entire floor from the front of the rear seats back is coming out - in two or three pieces (including the rear tubs, boot floor etc) - then we will mount the sub frame so all the dimensions etc are as per an s13 or equivilent (ie the subframe will be mounted at the same height relative to the front xmember as it would be in the standard car)

Once its mounted we can cut out whats needed to be from the original floor etc to go back in.

Too many times ive seen ppl cut a little bit out, then a bit more coz it doesnt fit, then too much and have no idea where all the little pieces go back into the puzzle.

I think this is the best way to tie it all together as well - we can tie the cage into the car as close as possible to the subframe mounts to really make it strong.

The reason for keeping everything at original size is for replacement of bent / damaged items ie rear arms and hubs. If needed we can bang OE second hand arms in without "fabricating" parts on the run.

Just looking at that thread it might be time to pick up a cef / skyline for the rear floor lol
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

Little bit of an update

Scored this laurel on the cheap - mostly complete but with all the bits i need.
Didn't realize they still did a drum brake independant rear in these - lucky i have hubs etc from a disc brake ceffy.

Next out will be the front subrame complete for measure ups and test fitting as ive only had bit and pieces to work with so far.

Anyone need an RD28 lol
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

What ratio is the diff?
looks the same as an R32/A31/s13 rear end.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

It is the same as R32/S13/A31 rear end.
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

And again yes its the same as those rear ends - unkown what ratio yet probably low being a diesel - no plates or tags to check
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

So i found my arms and disk hubs etc i already had and swapped them over, also got given a "vicious" LSD diff head although unknown what its out of as has the finned rear plate with 2 mounts rather than my 4.

Have also managed to cut the 4 subframe mount bolts out of the laurel so that can go to scrap now.

Scored a rear set of HSD S14 coilovers too - Brand new (previous owner only used the fronts), 16 way adjustable and body adjustable.

Next is to bolt some wheels onto the subframe and see how wide we gotta make this thing.

gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Good score on the coil overs.
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

also got given a "vicious" LSD diff head although unknown what its out of as has the finned rear plate with 2 mounts rather than my 4.
2 Bolt finned covers were in N/A Z32's . At least the NA z32 sub frame and diff i bought ages ago was like that, Not sure what else they came in.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Are you going to weld the rear doors up? The rear side of the rear door shut will get in the way of running mega slam with monster wide wheels, and huge flares?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............