DJZ's DR30 Skyline

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

DJZ's DR30 Skyline

Post by DJZ »

So I ended up with this thing:

1983 Nissan DR30 Skyline iron mask. I manage to work out a deal with my mate for it, picked it up last night which is the first time I've driven it.

It's pretty much stock, somebody has put what I think is a Supra intercooler on it at some stage which is bent and has average looking metal piping and a couple of split rubbery joiners. It has a Trust/Greddy adjustable boost relief valve installed instead of the stock one.

There's some work that needs to be done reasonably urgently some of which is:
Find out why it has 4 heat range plugs instead of the stock 6's in it, I put some 6's in it last night and I think I've fouled one up driving to work this morning, the AFM has been played with.
Gearbox has a rooted bearing(s) by the sounds of it.
Replace the intercooler and intercooler piping.
There's some noise from the engine bay, I think maybe the oil pump is being starved, will have to have a look underneath and see what the sump looks like.
Lose the wheels, will be giving these back to my mate and fitting the Pismo wheels of my other Z to it for a while.
Fix the leaking rocker cover, all the spark plug tubes had oil in them, I've got new genuine gaskets to do this.
It has some sort of problem where if you drive over bumps it seems to cut out, not very useful with Christchurch roads at the moment.

Plans at the moment are just to tidy it up, it needs a lot of work and drive it around for a while. Maybe fit an SR20 computer to it and a slightly bigger turbo which I've got sitting on an RB20 at the moment. It needs to be lowered, it has Cobra "lowered" springs in it but it looks higher than it probably was standard.
Last edited by DJZ on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
pl510
Datsun Driver
aka: Shannon

Re: DJZ's DR30 Skyline

Post by pl510 »

Good on ya mate sounds like a wee bit of work to be done but you've got yourself an iron mask DR30!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

did you buy it off martain? (sp)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeap, I got it off Martijn.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

awesome dude, love DR30 skylines
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had a bit more of a play with it tonight, couple of the things that need attention:

Split intercooler hose

Bit of oil in the intercooler

Missing EGR, the block off plate somebody has made is too thin and is bending, I've just replaced it with an L series EGR valve for the moment

Non recovery coolant system for some reason? Will be adding an overflow bottom and proper cap

Bent intercooler, I've just pulled it out, will have a think about what to do in the mean time, might just leave it off for a while

Oily, yummy

I've put one of the Pismo wheels on, it sits out a little bit from the guard but I think they'll be alright - I'm not actually sure if they are the same width and offset front and rear so when I pick up the other 3 tomorrow I'll have a look

Once my mate finds it I'm probably going to fit this old HKS Twin Power that I used to have on the Z many years ago, bit of a period item
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

Niiiice, FJ :drool:
nzeder
Regular

Post by nzeder »

Excellent - DR30 - so what is the interior like? In good shape etc. What about the rust? I have seen a few rusty one of these over the year - sad really as these were the cars started to show great promise at Bathurst and around the streets of Wellington all those years ago.
76 RS30 260z road
73 RS30 260z track
Previous
70 HS30-00016 240z
72 HS30 240z 2.8 track
71 HS30 240z 3.2 road/track
79 HS130 280zx
82 HS130 280zx T top
2x 73 KP710 160JSSS
74 KB210 120Y Coupe
71 510 1600 Deluxe
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Interior isn't too bad, some cracks in the dash and sticky pads around where somebody in Japan must have had some cup holders or gauges stuck. There is a boost gauge on the top of the steering column which I'm going to take off. The drivers seat isn't original so I'd like to find a proper one (yeah right). It's got the sweet black and red striped interior.

It was first brought into the country and complied in 2009 so should be sweet for any structural rust, it's done very low k's since then, maybe 8,000? and has been sitting for a year. There are a couple of little bits coming through, one in between the tail lights and around one of the bonnet stoppers which I'll have to get sorted.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

very Bad ass Car

Love to see the old FJ20 power plant
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30