Luke's 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
luke
Datsun Addict

Luke's 1200 Coupe

Post by luke »

Anybody in chch want to lend several hands? after akaroa i will be stripping out the car ready for rust repairs, the only thing i lack is..... knowledge and organisation.

And also the means (apart from cash) to do decent rust killing, welding and all the rest etc.

For someone in the know who lives in christchurch either post here or talk to me if the car lasts/makes it to nationals.

i have the garage to do it.... and i will hopefully be getting it sandblasted etc once its all a happening thing.

Cheers
Last edited by luke on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 13 times in total.
1972 1200 coupe KB110
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Stripping out coupe/Rust repairs/Welding

Post by Bartman »

Be very wary of sandblasting.
It can distort the panels something awful. Plus it get everywhere, and your car could leach sand forever.
You can get a decent result with an angle grinder and some elbow grease. Although if you want tpo bare metal the car, you might want to consider soda blasting.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
TWZTID
Datsun Dreamer
aka: W.I.C.K.E.D

Post by TWZTID »

Sand blasters wont touch the roof incase of warping.
Ive used paint strippers, the funny plastic looking stuff, about $18-$20 a disc just to take the bog & paint off.
Im looking to sand blast parts I cant get into with the grinder, if your interested when I hear from this guy at the ol'mans work I can see if he would hook you up if your interested.

I'll put my hand (& grinder) up if you want a hand
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Post by Lang Inder »

i got the 140j fully sandblasted before i started pannel beating it and it tidied things us real fast, exposes hidden rust. Just sand the door skins, roof and rear gaurds back yourself with a pannel sander before you give it to them.
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

My old boy had his '68 Fury III convertable blasted. He must have spent 10 hours (Over three or more sessions) With a duster gun and a vaccuum cleaner trying to get the sand out of it. It just seeps out of the nooks and crannies forever.
Seeing what he went through, I'd never ever go there myself.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

soda blasting wouldnt be any better it still gets in everywhere. The downside of soda blasting is they generally wash it off with water after blasting and because you have just blasted it you have got rid of most of your seam sealer so you open up the opportunity for water to get in the seams.
In a 1200 I wouldnt get the front foot wells sandblasted either. They are too flat and get a bit beat up.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

also, just think of how much sand it would take to do that fury!! the thing is like 3 datsuns long
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I had my coupe fully sodium blasted; inside, outside, underneath, roof and all.
got no warpage or damage, and the boys blew all the soda out before epoxy priming it.

Showed the car in all its honesty, as blew out all the fill, paint, underseal, and loose rust etc

although it can be surprising how things are actually underneath years of "historical" repairs...

I have nothing negative to report, other than the cost (but that out weighs the elbow grease!)

Unsure what blasters in Chch are like, but the guys down here in Timaru do a good job.
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

by the looks of it many able bodied people on here!! sand blasting maybe not so much now....... i wouldnt mind sanding/gentle grinding etc for many long hours if it saved me coin with the eventual same result. anybody keen to help just sing out with a BPH (beers per hour) estimate if agreable. and once the fridge is stocked.....out goes the calls to all, strip it back to bare, and the fridge too.
1972 1200 coupe KB110
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

Id be keen to lend a hand (the one with the grinder in it), we just had a bunch of stuff at work dry-ice blasted leaves no mess other than paint flakes, looked like a pretty technical rig tho and they didnt have the technitian for the first few days and the ice kept freezing in the lines, did a good job tho.
No matter where you go, there you are.