Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by broke »

Lol @ satanic diff cover plate. Or maybe they're all like that and I've never seen one clean enough for it to be visible.

I definitely wouldn't use that pinion flange without sleeving it, there's a chance it might not leak but if it does it will make a huge mess.

Or just use the other one if it's not pitted.

Great effort Greg, your eardrums will be happy.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Lol @ satanic diff cover plate. Or maybe they're all like that and I've never seen one clean enough for it to be visible.
I've only ever seen one other one with the star on it, I wonder what it's for.

With the flange seal, the cheats way is to take the spring out of the seal, undo it, cut a little bit off and do it back up and put it back in, that tightens the seal up a little bit. Not recommended as a permanent fix though.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Haha yeah first one I've seen/noticed like that haha. Bugger trying to keep costs down so may just use the other flange and hope that it's ok... haven't noticed any oil leaks from the current diff that is in there. In saying that though there was so signs of any oil leak from the front of this diff, although it looked like it had been dry for quite sometime..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

More tinkering in preparation for next weeks big road trip! Put a couple coats of clear gloss on the rear cover and baked it on with a heat gun. After talking to my workmates I've decided to run the pinion flange that's on this diff. Went over the sealing surface with some 400grit and I'll be getting some seal lube (like what you use for camshaft seals etc) to put on it before it goes in. If it leaks you can all say I told you so but from what the mechanics said at work I should be fine. So etched primed the flange and sprayed it with a couple coats of gloss black engine paint (same as what's on the housing). Decided to put the rear cover on so RTV'd the f#*k out of it as the sealing surface on the diff was pretty pitted in places...

Also scored this dinky wee surge tank from Nick M today, won't have time to get it fitted before nats but it's definitely something I'll be doing after. Thinking of maybe moving the battery box to the other side of the boot, will play around with it more after nats.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

RodolfoMac

Post by RodolfoMac »

Great stuff as usual Datto_610. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

4.1 is in! Was not without issues though... drained the oil from the 4.3 and magnetic drain bung had a rather large amount of metal shavings stuck to it... once the old diff was out I noticed that the pinion flanges were different so swapped them over, the one on the 4.3 did actually look better so that was good! So was all ready to put the new diff in but noticed it wasn't going in all the way into the crossmember.. the casting of the housing on the new diff is different and had this big tit/notch thing on the bottom. Bart came round and said the eassiest way to solve the problem was to grind it back enough to that it would go in. So after say I dunno half a dozen times of lifting the diff up and down I finally got it in!!!! These things are so damn heavy and I'm super achey today but got to go back into work to replace a leaky clutch slave. Sl stay posted for more updates!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

A few more things done today. Replaced leaky clutch slave cyilnder and removed the master to inspect the push rod. The clevis must've been loosish is for a while because the end of the thread is a bit munched. Was quite tight to wind it back a bit further but got there. Talking to Bart, may end up making a new push rod as the cylinder itself appears to be fine.

Replaced for second time the drivers side outer CV boot. Only seem to have trouble with this one, although I did notice the drivers inner is starting to show signs of wear. I only had a second hand boot of another set of axles I have. I'll look into buying new boots and I'll replace them all.

Also got the stereo back in as I'd had it out because it was doing something weird but seems to be ok now..

Went for a bit of a drive this afternoon too. Went up the northern motorway so did a bit of 100kph driving just to make sure everything was ok with the diff. So far everything feels ok, no horrible noises or clunking so really happy about that! Revs are still a bit high but it's definitely an improvement and the speedo is pretty much bang on too! Just gotta give her a good clean before I leave for nats on Thursday!

ImageImageImage

broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nice work Greg, that is a weird diff you have, I must have had about 5 or 6 R200 housings pass through my ownership and I've never seen one with that big lump at the end of the oil channel like that.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Well done Greg, Definitely Built not Bought.
I note the different length Bolts on the CV, does that cause a vibration? You may be better to spread them around rather than have the heavy ones all in one group.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

broke wrote:Nice work Greg, that is a weird diff you have, I must have had about 5 or 6 R200 housings pass through my ownership and I've never seen one with that big lump at the end of the oil channel like that.
Yes it's very weird aye... oh well it's in now!! Won't be coming out for a loooong times unless it has to...

Vaughan those 2 short ones you see are the only 2 short ones on that axle well sorry that's a lie. There is a short and a long bolt on 2 other bolt holes and 2 long ones the same. Wouldn't think something like that would cause vibration enough to notice?? The short ones are only in there as the long ones went walk about a few months ago...