Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by brocky41 »

My advice is whatever the factory recommended - you dont see many RFB skylines etc bolts falling off or shearing - and they take some abuse lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnZ8DBTALA - Just miss all the gears and pop da clutch G
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

brocky41 wrote:My advice is whatever the factory recommended - you dont see many RFB skylines etc bolts falling off or shearing - and they take some abuse lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnZ8DBTALA - Just miss all the gears and pop da clutch G
Yeah for sure! Didn't even think about using the stock bolts or even know they were a slightly bigger shank.. that video needs more little Johnny though...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

As an alternative to Nylocs & spring washers you can go 1 of 2 options

Nordlock Interference washers, these things are amazing at holding stuff on very low profile flat on each mating face but there is an anti loosening cam / ramp in the middle that prvents any sort of backing out.

These are available from Hilton Parker fasteners on the corner of Moncur and Birmingham drive

Conelock nuts, i have used these on suspension components susecptable to vibration they are a regular metric fine bolt every so slightly ovalised to prevent any sort of loosening or backing out. Nissan actually use these in some locations as OEM.

Cone locks are available from any Trade zone industrial
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

I've already bought the nylocs so will try them first. I'll be keeping an eye on the axle bolts once I've got them fitted may set myself reminders and check them every now and again. Which will mean I'd need to drive it more!

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Well the 180B finally lives inside a double garage!! Bought my first house with my partner and couldn't be happier.

With Rakaia cruise coming up next weekend I'd better get these axles sorted! Finally got round to picking up the axle bolts from the platers and got some new CV boots to replace the old worn out ones currently on there. They look like they should work, look a little different so fingers crossed!!

ImageImageImageImage

Bluebird_U
Regular

Post by Bluebird_U »

Congrats on the garage - and the house too. Hope you haven't filled the garage up yet!! :D
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Bluebird_U wrote:Congrats on the garage - and the house too. Hope you haven't filled the garage up yet!! :D
Thanks! Not yet... but there will be something else living in there soon...

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Went in to work today so I could use the hoist to change the CV boots and fit the new bolts and nyloc nuts. Only managed to get the one side done today as it took longer than I expected. Did the side that had the bolts come loose, you can see the holes have become a little elongated but the bolt doesn't have too much play so should be ok. New boots fit pretty well, they are a wee bit shorter and have a different bellow design but you can feel difference between the new rubber compared to the old stuff. Will do the otherside in the next few weeks, will be good to see what that axle is like after the Rakaia cruise too! Checked bolts on the right side axle but they were pretty tight.

Also made sure I phased the CV's correctly as close as I could.

ImageImageImage

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Been a bit slack in updating but have been getting a few things done! Realised the air filter was well due for a clean and re-oil so got some Uni-Filter foam air filter oil and cleaned the filter with turps. Man that thing was fiiilthy!! Cleaned the filter shroud too and got carried away and gave the engine bay a bit of a clean. No point putting something clean back in a dirty environment right? Think I'll do this once a year when I do an oil change from now on...

Got the right hand side CV boots done and replaced the axle bolts over the long weekend and made sure they were phased correctly also. Replaced the left side inner CV boot clamp as there was a bit grease being expelled from it. Did oil and filter change just standard service stuff, check condition of brake pads. Fronts are good plenty of life left but rears are looking pretty low, may need to be changed next time I do a service... not ideal as the rears don't do as much work at the fronts... they are Ferodo pads from memory but may be hard to find something decent being a not very common pad?? Ah well I'll worry about it then! Being in a double garage is absolute bliss! Means I can get the front screen out over winter and replace leaky seal and tidy up any rust found etc! Also the 180 will have a buddy in the garage in a month or so. Stay tuned!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Good work Greg