Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Been driving this on the semi reg and has been pretty good! Definitely fun! Still got the same 3rd and 5th gear popping issues but other than that no other issues! Until today....

Went to a mates place this afternoon was about to do a u turn turn suddenly lost all power.... got a push from a few nice randoms. Took me wee while but noticed that I had a couple fuses blown but also noticed that the circuit breaker I had installed in place of a fusible link had tripped... reset it then went on to my mates place. Chilled there for a bit then went home, circuit breaker tripped at least 10 times before I got home. When I left my mates I got a pretty decent way but after re-setting it the 2nd time about a km up the road or less it would trip again.... I haven't checked other fuses yet so unsure if more have blown... the lever on the circuit breaker was getting a little fiddly after having to reset it a few times so unsure if that could be the issue or whatever made the fuse blow. Any suggestions? Know it's probably not quite an easy thing to diagnose.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

One more thing to add though I didn't lose all power only ignition power... so hazards and horn were still working
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Pretty sure I've solved the issue... checked the rest of the fuses and they all seem ok so replaced them. I switched the battery switch off while I was inspecting some of the wiring when I noticed that one of the wires that goes to the circuit breaker was loose. Now the way I did the wiring for this was well terrible... instead of putting eye terminals on the end of the wire I had simply wrapped the wire around the stud and tightened up the nut. Now that I think about it for a wee while now I had to very gently turn the key to start it otherwise nothing would happen. Obviously the wire was loose so would only sometimes make contact when starting but stayed in contact while driving until the nut got a bit looser causing a short and blowing the breaker. Seems legit right? So I did it properly and crimped eye terminals on the end of the wire and hooked them back up to the breaker. Starts so better now as nothing is loose! I'm yet to do a road test as my partners friend's car is up the drive and they have gone out so I can't move it..
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Yeah. Always make proper electrical connections.
A minor bad connection can cause all sorts of havoc.
Good to see you sorted it easy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Bit of an update. I'm driving this up to Wairapa/Featherston for oldschool nats I thought I'd better put in some sounds! So glad I had already run the speaker wires and mounted the rear speakers so all that was left to do was to do head unit wiring. So through work I got a pretty swish head unit, a head unit to iso plug and an iso to vehicle plug. I cut the vehicle plugs off and crimped on three 4 way plugs. One for the front speakers, one for the rear and the other for earth, ign power and batt power. Found a plug under the dash labeled radio? So tested it and all 3 wires were what I needed. So once the wiring was done I needed to go about mounting the head unit to the SSS console. The gap that was there was too big for a double din and too small for a din and a 1/2 din pocket as I discovered when I bought a facia kit with a 1/2 din pocket attached.... so had to cut half of the pocket off which you can hardly tell. The facia mounts to the back of the console so you can hardly tell at all really. I also thought I'd better mount the center console properly rather than having it just sit there..I'm also pretty sure the console was pressing up against the shifter causing it pop out of gear because when I took the console out and went for a big drive it didn't jump out of gear... so I set about to move the console back as far as I could and to mount it with the brackets that came with it. I thought it could've been the vents at the top of the console hitting the heater box but after unscrewing the vents it was still sitting in the same place. .. so took a closer look and saw that something at the bottom was hitting so removed the console for the umpteenth time and noticed there were plastic ducts than run along the bottom of the console that were unscrewable and then after a bit of man handling got it to sit far back enough the shifter wasn't getting pushed against. Seeing as I had to take the carpet out to fit the console mounts I took a look at re mounting the ecu and the 3 relays I had mounted on the trans tunnel. Not having heaps of loom to play with choices were limited as to where to mount everything. Have fitted ecu to passengers kick panel and the relays to the firewall/foot well. It's not much prettier than it was but an improvement none the less I think. Currently haven't got front speakers as I'm still figuring out how to mount them with out cutting door cards etc. And 4" speaker spacers seem harder to source...

85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by 85_Z31 »

You seem to have a real knack with interior stuff Greg, nice work.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Haha I wouldn't go that far.... but thanks!
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Seeing as I'm driving this up to the north island at the end of March I thought there was a few things I should do like for example up grade the headlights to semi sealed beams! Got this H4 high/low semi sealed conversion kit from work.

I'm going to upgrade the high beams to H1 semi sealed beams but thought I'd just do the high/lows to start with. It would appear that I'm having relay troubles again as the passenger side is very dim and high beam doesn't seem to go at all... so I'm wanting to upgrade from the metal latching relay to like a narva 5 pin or something. Been trying to find info online but I can't seem to make sense of the diagrams :oops: also seems people like to use 2 relays,one for low and one for high beam. Is that overkill or a really good idea? I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

This is the old sealed beams

And this with the hi/lo semi sealed beams but obviously not functioning properly..

DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by DJZ »

Relays are a good idea depending on how the car is set up originally, James and I have both done it, it's a bit of a pain to do but worked really well for me. Looks like a grounding issue possibly?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

I did re locate an earth wire that I found on the passenger side wiring but didn't seem to make a difference.