Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

I thought so too James... it's going to chamberlains tomorrow so will see what happens
crustywhip
Datsun Addict
aka: Kane

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Cert Prepping!

Post by crustywhip »

I come here for your updates Greg and time is getting very close. When I went thru cert I used a mates alignment shop and 'lent' on the sensors to get with in spec then pushed save/print and had my cert a week later. Il be back next month hoping to see some driving shots with you in a sombrero.
Current whips: 1976 120y datsun van-1977 JZX31 toyopet markII coupe-1984 Toyota markII supercharged -Yamaharley XV 500
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Hahaha cheers Kane! Unfortunately the news is not good....

I'm at max camber adjustment on the crossmember and to get it any more adjustment I need to slot the mounts further. so out comes the crossmember! Not the option I wanted to hear but it's gonna need to be done. My only concern is if I was to slot the brackets more am I going to get it accurate. Seeing as they were precision cut by a laser cutter probably going to be hard to replicate that by hand well my hand anyway haha. I'll make a start this weekend after work to get the crossmember out if anyone wants to help feel free to pop by! I'll ring Ian tomorrow and tell him my second re-check might be a bit further away...

Also another thing I noticed today as that I'm getting a bit blow by, quite a bit of oil on the strut tower/intercooler pipes and bonnet thinking rings need doing! Great!!
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Looking at the Datsport fitting guide for their kit they recommend -0.5deg of camber which I'm curious about as the slots on their mounts aren't overly big....
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Greg are you allowed to cut into it, or will that compromise the part and give them something else to pull you up on??
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

I'm not sure Vaughan but I'll check with Ian before I go and do anything major
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

oh dear................
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You done anything to this yet man?
I've been thinking about it.
Put her up in the air, and moved the rear arms, and rear halfshafts etc.
Center punch in line with the centre of the camber adjustment slot, just a fraction more than half the bolt diameter. Start with a pilot dril, and then go up to the diameter of the bolt. Borrow DJZ's die grinder, and make it into a slot. Apart from grovelling around under the car, it's probably less work/easier that way.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Datto_610
Datsun God

Datto_610's 180B - Cert Prepping!

Post by Datto_610 »

Yes I have started and may have found a way to get a bit more adjustment without slotting anything...

So yesterday I jacked up the rear and put the wheels on ramps so I could have a good nosey underneath. I un bolted one of the camber bolts to see how much room I had to play with. I had an idea of taking the locking bolt out completely and removing the two nuts that go either side of of the special control arm bolt which looks like it should give me more room to adjust, also have taken the washer off so I can see how much further up I can get the control arm. I don't even think I can slot anything further anyway as the plate that the locking bolt threads into is in the way.... but ny either grinding the washer flat on one side of just fitting a smaller O.D washer might just give me a tad more adjustment! Image
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I think I see where you are heading. Can you take some of the flat off the swing arm bolt so the adjusting nut can wind further away from the plate. Or fit a thinner nut, although that would reduce thread area. Maybe try it without the washers on the lock nut to see What you gain
Datsuns from A to Zed