My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

Here's some engine bay detailing from over a year ago... this stuff is all dusty now from sitting around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Engine painting.... took like, a whole can of Brakleen to do each side of the engine, with a lot of wire brush action too. Then I pulled the sump off and cleaned all the garbage out while it was on the engine crane, replaced the red silicon goo with an actual gasket, and did all the bolts up properly. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to work on their own cars....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Fnally, here a few pics of the original fake SSS during disassembly, about 2-3 years ago (I forget at my advanced age). Every removable panel off this car is going on to the other one.

That's about all I've got for now.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

That rust doesnt look too bad at all!

Mine was an absolute shocker under the paint. Silicon, bog, tape/bog where the vents went
patches over top of rust, gaps in the panels with fiberglass covering. More rust and poo loads of bog and a mere of a boot.
Yours looks much better haha
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

So does this car now live in the same city as you? Whilest my 510 is the slowest build in history, I want to see lots of progress pics of this beast.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Bartman wrote:So does this car now live in the same city as you? Whilest my 510 is the slowest build in history, I want to see lots of progress pics of this beast.
It does for now, but in about a week or two I'll be in Christchurch, so that's all you get for now. When I finish work down south I should be able to post some more progress pics. I wouldn't worry about the speed of your build, even after it's painted it will take me forever to get my wheels repaired and put it all back together and get it WOF'd/certified etc. Then it still will need a proper tune, among about a million other little bits and pieces. Hopefully fossil fuels will not be outlawed by that time 8-)
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Holy freakin' progress Batman! I walked in on Friday afternoon and almost jizzed in my pants when I saw not one but TWO people ACTUALLY DOING WORK on my car!

I only managed to get 3 pics before the camera battery died, but the front guards looked amazingly straight even though they were only in primer, I could have sworn they were mint steel ones from the outside, and apparently they're going to get blocked back one more time as well! Excellent! Also the top of the bonnet was all nice and smooth and primered. Still needs a lot of work though, like a new sill, welding floor rust, reshaping the crease line on the rear guards etc. But overall I'm very happy things are moving along. :popcorn:

In other news I ordered a new seal kit off trademe, and I have a BRE front lip.
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

NICE CHIN! :mrgreen:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

From where did you aquire that front lip?
I likes it! :highfive:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

From where did you aquire that front lip?
I likes it!
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:26 pm
Thanks, some guy in Christchurch had 2 of them for sale on trademe a few months ago, they were advertised as being for 1200s but looks identical to a BRE one to my eyes. :dance2: Their username 'ashtlo1'. The price was right too