My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

Hi guys, thought I'd better start a thread just to prove that I do actually have a Datsun.

This is my 1600. I've owned this shell for almost exactly a year, the engine, gearbox, doors, guards, bonnet, boot, glass, interior etc are all out of my old project car (which I unfortunately had to sell to fund this). Conveniently though, the old car was a fake SSS so I already had most of the SSS badges (except the grille one) and the SSS dash.

The old car was in my possession for about 3 years, bought it when I lived in Auckland and drove it down when I moved. After that my daily driver AE111 got totalled by some teenager attempting to drive her mum's car, so I used the payout from that to fund panel and paint on this car. Unfortunately the panelbeater did a runner with my cash. :deadhorse:

So since I've just been made redundant I decided to pull the old girl out of storage and use up some of my hard earned redundancy cash to get this project on the go again, since it's been languishing for over a year. :violin:

I know you're a bunch of picture whores, so here are a couple of pics from when I dropped it off at a reputable shop today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
Why do people always feel the need to fill in the rear pillar vents?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

14x6.5 Techno Phantoms.... these are another headache in themselves. Drove to some place in the sticks out the back of Helensville to pick them up (after moving to Wellington) only to get back home and discover tiny cracks in the centres.

Oh well, at least only 2 of them are cracked. It would be so nice if people were honest in their dealings though.
IMG_1146.JPG
crustywhip
Datsun Addict
aka: Kane

Post by crustywhip »

Good stuff for posting John
Looking like a good solid 1600. Where is the rest of it tho?
Oh and why did I not meet you 2 years ago? My toyota had been sitting in the air for nearly two years doing nothing.
Current whips: 1976 120y datsun van-1977 JZX31 toyopet markII coupe-1984 Toyota markII supercharged -Yamaharley XV 500
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Mean pictures. keep them coming
Oh yeah I filled mine in because I wanted smooth lines with no handles, vents or badges. Preference really.
If I was to do a "Restoration" build they would stay for sure.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Haha thanks Kane, it's not really that solid though, I didn't post the pics of the floor under the back seats... it was actually owned by the same guy that did up gingofthesouth's car too, so who know's what's lurking under that primer....

I actually almost bought that car, but I was put off by the idea of having to remove that bonnet vent and chrome fuel flap, although I'm told the 2.2 L/Z20 in it was pretty extreme, raised inlet ports and stuff, think it had a S13 gearbox too.

And yeah that Mark 2 is mean, glad I could help. Can't wait to see it cruising around (but do the 4AGE in the 120Y first).

Will be in the Nth Island for about another 2 weeks now too if you need a hand with that tube bending/brazing.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Oh yeah, the rest of it is sitting in a big pile in my lockup, got 2 gearboxes (71B and 63A 'long'), 3 driveshafts, GSR Recaros, new carpet, L20B with 2xDHLA45's, 3 driveshafts, spare set of Bluebird (I think) mags etc etc
crustywhip
Datsun Addict
aka: Kane

Post by crustywhip »

broke wrote:Oh yeah, the rest of it is sitting in a big pile in my lockup, got 2 gearboxes (71B and 63A 'long'), 3 driveshafts, GSR Recaros, new carpet, L20B with 2xDHLA45's, 3 driveshafts, spare set of Bluebird (I think) mags etc etc
If you need some where to store stuff like that my ex has a big roof space. I got stuff up there and its only me that goes there.
Il get in touch next week re that fuel line. Got access to work shop in lower hutt to make it easier and mounts are being mocked up next week so we should be all go.
Current whips: 1976 120y datsun van-1977 JZX31 toyopet markII coupe-1984 Toyota markII supercharged -Yamaharley XV 500
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

If you need some where to store stuff like that my ex has a big roof space. I got stuff up there and its only me that goes there.
Cheers man, but nah all good, the car is in Masterton so I can't really be bothered moving stuff all that way, plus I can't lift my engine too easily! Appreciate it though.
Il get in touch next week re that fuel line. Got access to work shop in lower hutt to make it easier and mounts are being mocked up next week so we should be all go.
Sweeeeeet.

Here's some more rust for ya. These pics are almost a year old (and yes, I had to do this crap myself with a wire wheel)
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Some more old pics from a year ago