My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

Thanks, yeah with this type it seems to be mostly a process of tediously measuring clearances with feeler gauges, writing them down and consulting tables to determine which snap rings are needed, then checking and remeasuring after removing all the chewed up plastic from things.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Well I wrote a big-ass update and it got deleted somehow.

Anyway, got everything apart fully, it was a right bitch as there were teflon/plastic fragments in EVERYTHING acting like loctite on all the splined surfaces. Having access to a press and all sorts of mandrels and dies sure makes things a lot easier.

Even the internal oilways for the shafts had those fragments in them. Did all the measuring and the 1/2/3 baulk rings were all just out of spec, so they need replacement, they're horrifically expensive from Nissan (170+ GST each - 2 needed per gear). Ordered the baulk rings from Amayama and they're actually here already - the parts catalogue shows just the outer baulk ring, but when they arrived they came with the inner baulk ring and synchro cone too which was a nice surprise. I wouldn't have wasted all that time measuring them if I'd known that.
IMG_2313.JPG
Here are the shafts - I expected the teeth next to the 4th gear circlip/thrust washer arrangement to be a bit chewed up, as that's what normally kills these boxes, surprisingly it was perfect. Maybe all the debris locked it in place a bit tighter and actually helped save the shaft?
IMG_2302.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
Also begun lining up/measuring for the jig/mandrel thingy for the cut and shut and sliced the front off my L series bellhousing.
IMG_2308.JPG
I've been storing everything in plastic Glad bags, then I ran out - Pak n Save only had these Angry Birds ones, lol.
IMG_2301.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Nice John! Looking forward to more updates!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

What sort of price difference were on the parts you ordered John?

I ordered a fuel pump ex USA the other day. $160+GST in NZ was lowest price i could find and I got the same brand for $60NZ landed from Rockauto.com
The Interwebs are awesome.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

brocky41 wrote:What sort of price difference were on the parts you ordered John?

I ordered a fuel pump ex USA the other day. $160+GST in NZ was lowest price i could find and I got the same brand for $60NZ landed from Rockauto.com
The Interwebs are awesome.

Yeah for once it's me undercutting a dealer instead of the other way around. I thought of you when I saw those Angry Birds bags too :lol:

They were about $50NZD each with $22 for shipping and got here in 3 days!
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Dealerships are generally interdependently owned outside of the manufacture.
Therefore can charge what they want and prices do no reflect what their buy is.
Therefore you can absolutely get a better price elsewhere.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

torqued wrote:Dealerships are generally interdependently owned outside of the manufacture.
Therefore can charge what they want and prices do no reflect what their buy is.
Therefore you can absolutely get a better price elsewhere.
Oh of course, and then you factor in that they have to be able to cover warranty claims, pay dealership staff, cover the losses made by vehicle sales dept (absorption) etc.

I was just thinking how normally it's BMW goobers wanting everything for nothing and then whinging about how it's cheaper to buy off ECS online or whatever. I still buy genuine parts off Cockrams a lot of the time.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Bell housing cut / swap looks good, Ive got the transfer punches needed to mark out and measure the bolt centers for turning into a CAD drawing. I have been working on for a 1UZ v8
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

85_Z31 wrote:Bell housing cut / swap looks good, Ive got the transfer punches needed to mark out and measure the bolt centers for turning into a CAD drawing. I have been working on for a 1UZ v8
Thanks man, CAD won't be necessary - I've already got a plate outline cut and drilled and another one for the spacer ring, both just need to be bored out/made more roundy on a lathe then tacked on and given a final truing up.

I was going to ask if you were keen to have a go at them, let me know if you are and what you want for your time...
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I can't do the bell housing pieces on my lathe its not big enough, but i have access to the vertical mill / and a bigger lathe at a Mates place we can set the thing up on.

also a thought for the welding process, DJZ might be able to confirm but ultrasonic cleaning of each half might make the welding contamination a lot easier to deal with.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30