My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

Minor update since I'm bored. Been doing pretty well by writing off old stock/getting the odd freebie from work.

Got a NOS fuel pressure regulator for nothing, it's adjustable and doesn't have a vacuum port which is actually damn hard to find nowadays. It's twin outlet so I might run a gauge off one port or something. Got a free Chrysler/Mini style 4 post coil pack too which should work for me since I'm only going to run waste spark and batch fire (no cam angle sensor, not pictured).

Also I needed some special sealant for when I put my gearbox together so I looked at what BMW recommend, which is this Loctite 574. It turns out it's way cheaper to buy Loctite from BMW than anywhere else.

I still haven't mounted my fuel pumps because it's damn cold, I should probably get on to that.
IMG_2355 (002).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Took my crossmember to Wal, he made a big hole in it (cheers Wal!). Then I made the hole a bit bigger and welded some pipe into it.

This was actually a real PITA to do, glad it's all over. I'm almost out of argon so I might finish the bottle by tacking the Datsport adjustable bits on if I get time this weekend.

I really need to clean my garage so I have space to set up the gearbox jig.

Prison spec crossmember:
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

How are you getting along with the gearbox?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

That will look mint when finished and powder coated. :thumbsup:
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

torqued wrote:How are you getting along with the gearbox?
IMG_2413.JPG
Working on it. The mandrel thingy needs about another 50-60mm of its length machined down in order to work, bit of a bugger that.

Also I have to spend a lot of time carefully trimming to get things to line up - it's not as simple as milling the two pieces flat, as you need to keep the threaded holes for the slave cylinder and starter motor hump from the L bellhousing intact.

I did get some more fuel system parts so might plug away at that this weekend.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Ended up spending almost 3 hours on what should have been a half hour job making and fitting my new shift fork bushing. The plastic really doesn't machine nicely in the lathe when you're trying to make a bush with about a 1mm wall thickness. I think I'll ask for Delrin next time. I stupidly used this Loctite compound from work when I tried to refit the old DU bush and it made removing the old one almost impossible - ended up having to make a rod to stick into the fork to put it in the lathe and slowly bore out the old bush so I could fit my custom one. :violin:
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
Also mounted my surge tank and both fuel pumps. I need to run some fuel lines between the lift pump and the surge tank which I think will have to be bundy tube P-clamped to the body as it's a bit of a tight fit to avoid the axle on that side.
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Wow, your undercarriage is beautiful :lol:
Seriously though it looks awesome.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Continuation of the gearbox saga - had a practise weld on some bits cut off from the L bellhousing, turned out ok. Lots of "fly dirt" and stuff but at least it makes a puddle and can be welded.
IMG_2469.JPG
Got the L16 block set up with the bellhousing sections and put some tacks down before removing it and checking how much input shaft to spigot bearing engagement I'll have. It's very handy that you can do that with the short S15 input shaft!
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
Only about 5mm so need to get some more machined off the mandrel as it's bottomed out at present. I'm not upset about it, as I can then close up the massive gap between the pieces which is really hard to weld. Also the tacks break spontaneously (and loudly) so I think many cleaning passes and a good preheat will be required too.

Gave up and started making a tool to simulate having a rear arm fitted for when I weld on the Datsport crossmember stuff, didn't get time to finish it though.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Encouraging progress!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Today I finally got all the Datsport kit tacked on.

The instructions say to use a rear arm to hold the brackets, but my rear arms don't have any bushes in them, so I made this doodad on the lathe to hold everything.

Then tacked with the TIG. I think I'll have to go see one of our customers and borrow a mig to finish it, too many weird angles to fully weld it otherwise. Just tacking it was a headache.

Ready to go for final welding
ImageImage