My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

Right, now I understand - the hole won't be parallel. but there should be plenty of room for 2.5" pipe inside a 4" hole. It will probably need a reasonably tight bend to avoid the flange, but not enough to be a problem.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

John boy..... Oh Johnny boy... ( I was looking for a whistling or singing emote but seems we do not have one )

Man that underside looks clean. Come up real nice.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Fuck yeah! That's how it's supposed to look!

Also, on the cross member hole, you guys got me worried now... I need to go check mine.
My orangatang 510 here.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Hamish sure does nice work, progress looks good.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

If you want you could measure up that pipe and we can run it through the chop saw and clean it up on the lathe, you cold also die grind an egg shape into the cross member so you can weld it on an angle in the direction you want it to go

2-3mm on each side would would a pretty nice angle on that thing to help with clearance.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Ginge, have you not enlarged your exhaust hole yet? The original hole is just barely 2.5" so with the 3" exhaust I'm guessing you want you'll definitely need a 4" pipe too.

Thanks for the offer James, I think I should have more than enough room going straight through though - just need to get that hole cut out somehow first!
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

My crossmember hole was 3" so with my 2.5" zorst fits pretty well. I I think I have 2x 2 bolt flanges at either end of the zorst section going through the cross member too
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Weighed up the pros and cons/potential risks and decided to go for a surge tank instead of an in-tank pump. Of course no off the shelf surge tank will fit in the space I have available underneath the car, so I'm having to make one.

First step was to have a quick measure, attempt to bend some 5mm alloy plate in the shop press at work and fail miserably. Ended up making a rangi vice-mounted press brake thing out of some 50x70 angle iron and Bunnings hinges.
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG
You'd think bending this stuff would be easy, but it actually takes a lot of force to bend. Surprisingly the pieces turned out really nice, shame I scarred them up so badly with my previous attempts. I'll definitely keep this bending tool and use it for brackets etc. in the future.
IMG_2188.JPG
Also my JIC weld ons arrived from aliexpress today. When I'm not so poverty stricken I'll get some more argon and try to get back in the groove of AC TIG welding. No excuses really after I bought the fancy machine and everything.
IMG_2187.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_lowdown
aka: Hamish

Post by the_lowdown »

Good effort John :thumbsup: If you want to throw anything through the guilotine or pressbrake at work just let me know :)
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Hmmm got me thinking now John! Looks good mate!