Datsun 1200 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Jaimesix
Regular

Datsun 1200 SSS

Post by Jaimesix »

I was attempting to reply to Blair at his thread, ( I 've been away for a while ) but his thread is locked.

Well, I was talking about the Datsun 1200 SSS. According to my files, is a New Zeland Special designed specifically for the Benson and Hedges 500 race.

It was devised by Warren Broadbent of Nissan Motor Distributors LTD ( NZ ) and Dennis Marwood of Performance Development Limited.

The SSS is distinguised by special badges front and rear. Alloy drilled wheels and body stripes.

Standard fully assembled 1200 motors were delivered to Performance Development in Papakura for conversion to SSS specs. A 70 degree overlap camshaft " rally spec " replaces the standard unit. Free flow work in the exhaust and intake manifolds add flow. A pair of swift Dellorto DHLA twin choke sidedraught carbies are the prefered addition.

These converted motors were sent to Nissan Motor Distributors for mating to new 1200 Datsun vehicles. The result was a car that had 55 road hp as opposed to 40 road hp. The break horse power was increased from 69 bhp to 90bhp!

Any 1200 SSS still around in NZ?

Cheers

Jaime.______________________________________________________
Last edited by Jaimesix on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun 610/180B
Datsun 710/140J (L20B)
Mazda RX7 FD.
Suzuki Samurai/Sierra.
Honda CB750F DOHC..
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Datsun 1200 SSS

Post by Bartman »

Yes there are still a few examples geting around.
I know two people who have them, and have seen a few for sale from time to time. A gent showed up at our last meeting who has the original benson and hedges 1200 racecar. He's almost finished reshelling it. He used to work for nissan back when they were new, and is restoring it to a very high standard.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Jaimesix
Regular

Post by Jaimesix »

That is cool! :thumbsup:

Try get some pixes at the next event. Would be nice to look at one of these special rides!!!!

Cheers.
Datsun 610/180B
Datsun 710/140J (L20B)
Mazda RX7 FD.
Suzuki Samurai/Sierra.
Honda CB750F DOHC..
datomic
Regular

Post by datomic »

Oi Bart was that guy John Daly who has a workshop corner north parade and north avon rd? he has a mad pile of nos stuff for 1200's including i'm pretty sure the most amazing mint 1200 sss dash.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Close, it was John Dyer.
It should be a mighty fine example when completed. He sounded keen to bring it to the NZ Datsun nationals at labour weekend if it's finished by them.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
sssdat1200

Post by sssdat1200 »

my old man has an orginal 1973 1200sss the motor has was re worked by alan batt in winton. run a comprssion ratio of 12:1.

Bart may remmber having to push it at one of the very early datsun meets at the dunedin street racing after is fouled up the plugs. :mrgreen:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Craig?
I don't know if I was there that year. I only went the year that I sold you that A15 shortblock. (And by the time I met up with you my car was playing up) Either you or he MUST bring it up to the Akaroa cruise!
sssdat1200

Post by sssdat1200 »

yep thats me. oh that must have been the year eariler. ive still got the a15 its waiting in line for it turn lol. :lol:
the 1200sss hasent seen the road for a while has a bad case of cancer but giving it a full strip down and repair is on the cards. but on the bright side my 120ysss is nearly ready for its top cote of paint so you might see it a the cruz up chch.

did you get that valaint painted? cant remmber if it was a coupe or not, remmber seeing it when i poped in to look at your 1200
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

:useless:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yeah, it is painted. I just need to stop working on datsuns long enough to finish it. (It need fuck all to be on the road really) Once it's done, I'll be doing a trip round the lower south. I'll sure to catch up with you for a beer when I do! :beer: