1200 coupe Road Legal Drag Car

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Deano5
Regular

1200 coupe Road Legal Drag Car

Post by Deano5 »

Hi
Ive started building a 1200 coupe road legal drag car. It all started as a dare a few years ago to enter my stock '72 coupe at the "v" four and rotary nationals. Upon doing so and running solid 21's at 60mph all day the bug bit and the quest for more power began. The first call was what was i going to do for a engine? The sr20de was the original choice, with a hilux diff out back and some nitrous oxide for race day, after purchasing the sr the plan changed again, for the better or worse im not sure. I decided that a n/a sr wasnt going to cut it and neither was a turbo sr, so the decision was made to go turbo rotary complete with powerglide trans and still hilux rear end. Im hoping for bridgeport turbo powered street legal 9s. This is where it gets out of control.......................................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Deano5 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOU CANNOT KILL WHAT YOU DID NOT CREATE
Deano5
Regular

Re: 1200 coupe road/race car build

Post by Deano5 »

From here the out of control spiral continued. With the car now stripped of its engine and gearbox, a very good friend of mine suggested that he should install a roll cage for me just in case of the thing getting out of control and ugly at the strip (and you need one for the times i intend to run). So from here the car got completely sanded (by hand i might add!) back to bear steel and the interior got gutted in preperation for the cage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

So now i needed some roll cage pipe, which in this case is actually steampipe with thanks to another friend of mine, geoff a partial length was donated and a another length purchased by myself. This is where things started to happen. with avon spending a fair amount of time on the pipe bender grinder and welder i now have a 6 post roll cage. (big shout out to avon here!!!) :thumbsup:
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

100_0213.JPG
with the cage now complete the bug was biting even harder and i decided that the standard interior wasnt going to cut it anymore, so with avons help and encouragement (damn it avon!!!) alloy doorcards where made. They still take standard handles and winders and there has been talks of getting them airbrushed :mrgreen: more about that later! Again here i must make another big shout out to the wookie (Avon) without his efforts none of this would of happened, Big ups bro you the man!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Deano5 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

So with that done the general thought was that you could not have alloy doorskins without an alloy dash, so we made one of those too!! :roll: And of course you cant have an alloy dash without flash gauges!!! :oops: So i got a 5" tach and speedo of the autometer variety and a smaller boost gauge and fuel level gauge. I still need to get a oil pressure and water temp.
autometer.jpg
DSC00010.JPG
Last edited by Deano5 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

With the interior now looking like somthin i got a kw bucket seat and made up some custom rails. Now i could sit in it and make broom broom noises! ( stop judging me! :lol: ) Having the car at work meant that i had a lot of time to look at different ways of doing things during the day so when a customers car needed an intercooler fitting i borrowed it for a pic and for a test run to see what it would look like.
100_0207.JPG
Its 600x300x100, i was quite happy with how that looked so i purchased one for myself, while on trademe finding the intercooler i found this and decided i needed it!! :D
100_0336.JPG
:o :o :shock: :shock:

Its an old school garrett gt45 with a 5in inlet and 4in outlet with an a/r of .64 on the front and .86 on the back. Should be good for what i want :evil:
100_0333.JPG
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

Now i seemed to spend more time than usual browsing trademe searching for bargains and other cool shit that i might want or need, and i must say trademe has an abundance of that!! One of my late night browsing missions found me this....
100_0214.JPG
A 6 cylinder powerglide trans, just what the doctor ordered so that weekend the mrs and i drove to waihi to collect it. I must say at this point that the guy i brought this off was the most dedicated bogan i have ever met, and when i mentioned that the glide was going behind a rotary i think i saw his world collapse :deadhorse: So anyway, obviously the 6 cylinder gm bellhousing wasnt going to work so that was removed and a factory auto 13b bellhousing was adapted
:thumbsup:
100_0341.JPG
100_0342.JPG
Gearbox? Check!
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Re: 1200 coupe Road Legal Drag Car

Post by gingofthesouth »

Yep, you got a case of the spendies hard :P

Look forward to the rest of your thread bud.
My orangatang 510 here.
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Wicked build dude!
Love how it started out stock as a rock!
Looking forward to your progress!
Deano5
Regular

Post by Deano5 »

Now i had a bit of down time as the wallet had recieved a small beating, so we needed to do something that required more time than money. So looking at the trans it was obvious that some modification was needed to the firewall and tunnel to fit the bigger than standard trans and bellhousing, so out came the grinder and the eye-crometer and a hole was cut as a starting point.
100_0362.JPG
While the grinder was out i decided that i wanted to keep the intercooler inside the engine bay so that i didnt need to cut the front grill or bumper so that from the front it still looks stock. So the headlight holes where left but the rest of the metal behind the grill removed so that the cooler could be pushed as far forward as possible but still be behind the grill with that done i now have just enough room between the intercooler and grill to fit some slimline electric fans. I also plan on mounting the radiator on the intercooler like the ozzy boys do in their rx3s etc
100_0359.JPG
A small box section bar was also stitched in under the top of the radiator support to add a bit of strength.