gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Re: gingofthesouth's 510

Post by gingofthesouth »

DylPhil7 wrote:Ahem, kind Sir can you please update your thread. ;)
So busy with work and getting ready for the baby coupled with lack of funds means I have done ferk all.

Brother in law is gonna make me up some engine mounts so I have to install the reversed cross member. Started that today:

It still needs to be made to look mint and powder coated black but even when I went to bolt it on I was thinking, "these bolts and nuts dont look brand new!". Sitting right in eye sight was the new bottom joints with all shiny nuts and bolts! So off to Blacks Fasteners for new black guard bolts and cross member bolts, nuts etc.
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Black bolts have nil corrosion protection, and will quickly look like shit. Stainless or at least zinc plated is your only recourse.
Also be certin to get 8.8 tensile bolts for all the important parts.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Yup ill second that. If you want black tho you will have to get them painted/powdercoated.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

Dattochriswagon wrote:Yup ill second that. If you want black tho you will have to get them painted/powdercoated.
Bugger. Was gonna ask them before I purchased them but was hoping they were like an anodised stainless equivalent or whatever.

Stainless it is then.
Thanks for the heads up guys.
My orangatang 510 here.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

greg can do zincing . from memory he can do gold, silver and black
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

We just silver and gold zinc at the mo, we might have black sometime later in the year.
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

Needs to be black bolts Gingernuts! ;)
1600sss
aka: Gazz

Post by 1600sss »

Wow, fair bit of work gone into this man! good stuff! Worst part about putting FJs in these is its bloody hard to plumb the heater up so i just didnt bother but its not too big a deal unless youre driving it in the winter. The large cast iron lump generates a bit of heat anyhow haha.
1972 510 SSS FJ20ET
1988 Mazda HC3S Luce 13B Turbo
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

DylPhil7 wrote:Needs to be black bolts Gingernuts! ;)
I think so, but I will put stainless in for now I think until I can get some that wont rust!
Datto_610 wrote:We just silver and gold zinc at the mo, we might have black sometime later in the year.
Send me a message when you can do black. I have been getting everything painted black or painted it black myself to look new.
1600sss wrote:Wow, fair bit of work gone into this man! good stuff! Worst part about putting FJs in these is its bloody hard to plumb the heater up so i just didnt bother but its not too big a deal unless youre driving it in the winter. The large cast iron lump generates a bit of heat anyhow haha.
Yeah been a long slog! Hmpf. def need a heater with the baby and wife gonna be riding it with me or I will never be allowed to take the 1600 on family trips lol!
Always loved Fj20ets. Cant wait to get it on the road!
My orangatang 510 here.
1600sss
aka: Gazz

Post by 1600sss »

yeah fair enough mate, its just that the block/cylinder head is pretty wide and stis quite close to the firewall. youll have to scallop part of the cylinder head away by the lower frost plug, on the right rear side, to get it to fit past the brake fitting on the firewall too from memory but thats only a 2 minute job with that greatest of man made inventions, the die grinder.
1972 510 SSS FJ20ET
1988 Mazda HC3S Luce 13B Turbo