Orange Daily 12ie...My daily 1200cc of Vit. C

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Roddsteel

Re: Dirty Datty 1200, 2 tone Grey and Mustard, to Orange

Post by Roddsteel »

Nice 1200 man! did you say you had some smoke a while back? I am suffering the same affliction with the 610 ughh
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Roddsteel wrote:Nice 1200 man! did you say you had some smoke a while back? I am suffering the same affliction with the 610 ughh
Yeah, was very embarrassing, smoked at intersections, on acceleration. This was due to it eating a Valve stem seal, very easy and extremely cheap fix on the A series, much relief. I use the car most days as my sole means of transport and have done quite a few Kms since, running really well, and no smoke at all.
Datsuns from A to Zed
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Hey classicdat !

Would love to see some latest pics man. :thumbsup:
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roddsteel

Post by Roddsteel »

classicdat wrote:
Roddsteel wrote:Nice 1200 man! did you say you had some smoke a while back? I am suffering the same affliction with the 610 ughh
Yeah, was very embarrassing, smoked at intersections, on acceleration. This was due to it eating a Valve stem seal, very easy and extremely cheap fix on the A series, much relief. I use the car most days as my sole means of transport and have done quite a few Kms since, running really well, and no smoke at all.
yes it is a bit embarrassing haha, mine only really happens when going down big hills and if i really give it to it...going to get it seen to soon....was it going through a bit of oil ?
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Yeah, no mine wasn't using any oil. Sorry mate, from your description sounds like your's needs re ringing. Not a big job on a Datsun.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Roddsteel

Post by Roddsteel »

Yeah sounds like it .... cheers for the advice man !
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

I am getting mixed messages from the family about my 1200.
As the girls grow the 1200 sure is getting smaller, we now have 2, soon to be 3 college girls at home, they all complain about leg room in the back. I must get the 1600 on the road.
My wife has taken a long time to warm to the idea of driving the 12ie. I don't blame her, when I first got it going with the new Paint and motor it was an absolute beast to drive, Full race cam and SU carbs, No bottom end or idle, and a very narrow power band.
Now she loves it, loves how easy it is to park, and how nippy it is to get around, and she has even gotten used to the attention it gets and will now get into conversations with people. Win!
And on the power front - my 10 year old complained of 'whip-lash' yesterday as I took a gap in the traffic to get across a busy street, and that was in the wet. It really is going great, and has so much traction.

Nothing new to report sorry, still really enjoying it, just need to get a shed built for it.
Datsuns from A to Zed
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

I can agree on the whiplash with lowback buckets - had the same thing in my 1200 way back when it was standard.
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

An up date!!!!
Visiting someone the other day they commented it must cost a heap to keep it on the road --- being old.
I told them I hadn't done anything to it in over 12 months, hence no updates.
I was in heaven today as I got a couple of uninterrupted hours working on the 1200.
For the first time it has front shocks, well the first time in the 9 years I've owned it :P
New strut seals, heavier oil, well some oil! What a difference, actually it really makes a difference on CH-CH streets, should have done it 2 years ago.
Couldn't believe it when I went for a drive, what a difference! I think this one is a keeper :P Might have to leave the Z at home and go out and embarrass some of the turbed 1200s at track day :lol:
Loving it.
Datsuns from A to Zed
classicdat
Committee Members

Re: Orange Daily...My daily Vit. C

Post by classicdat »

Clean sheeted a Wof yesterday. Other than rebuilding the front struts the only thing I did before taking it in was adjust the brakes :P
38 years old, still going great!!!
Datsuns from A to Zed