DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by broke »

Looks pretty exciting, for all the small issues you're finding I bet you're still glad to be picking them up now rather than when it's all bolted into a car on a chassis dyno and everything's hard to reach.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

The boss came back early so no more progress on the engine - I'm trying to wrangle being able to be at work while he's not there after the 15th, I'll take the car up, finish the engine and put it back in and make a new down pipe and do a couple of other jobs.

I rolled the car out of the garage again today so I could move the V8 so that it's not in the way anymore. The fibreglass bonnet hits on the factory latch so I took that out, also ground down the front bumper a little bit so that it doesn't catch on the bonnet anymore. Also removed one of the bonnet springs which is just about perfect tension on the bonnet.

Haven't worked on lining it up yet, it actually hits on the factory stoppers near the windscreen, they're adjustable but I think that's where I'll put the latches so I haven't touched them yet.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made a mounting block for the AAC valve tonight, just need to face off the extra material and profile the back to match the tube that I'm using for the vacuum chamber. All going to plan I'm going to take the car up to work next week and put the motor back in it up there.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Awesome stuff bro
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Machined the curve into the back of the idle control flange, haven't done anything more with it yet though.

Did a little bit more tuning yesterday, saw 300hp on the dyno which I think is pretty good for wastegate pressure and no tuning of the timing yet. I was working the dyno by myself which was quite interesting, doing the "sweep" ramp runs doesn't quite work like I thought it would but everything seemed to be working okay, only gave up because I emptied the water tank and didn't have it refilling.

Will be putting a fuel pressure sensor in before I run it again, I've been though 40L of 98 so far and don't really get a warning when it's running low. I was originally planning to put one on the fuel rail as the aftermarket ones I've got have -6 fittings but I didn't get the correct o rings for the injectors but I think I'll just put it in front of the dyno fuel filter as that's -6 as well.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nice work Dan. Hydraulink sells a male/female JIC adapter with a 1/8BSPT female port on the side that would make fitting the gauge easy peasy if you wanted to do it that way.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Have been mucking around with the tune on this a bit more, got it pretty much sorted on wastegate pressure so I've started to add a bit of boost. Highest HP I saw on ~8 psi was 360ish. Now that I'm adding boost it keeps either blowing the exhaust pipe off the downpipe or blowing intercooler pipes off, I've welded two bits together to get rid of one silicone joiner and bead rolled them and now it's blowing off the other side. Giving up for the night and will look at it again tomorrow maybe.

I made a little knock amplifier which seems to be working okay.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Running out of time so I did a little bit more tuning yesterday then pulled the motor off the dyno. I spent a couple of hours trying to fix up the exhaust piping but it was still either blowing off the downpipe or blowing off where it attached to the pipe going through the wall so gave up, on the last run that I did it looked like the peak was 441hp, whatever than means on that particular dyno, that was on 15psi and 5 degrees less timing across the board than the last tune.

I'd say it's probably pretty close power wise to where it was before which is okay, I'll tidy it up a bit more on the road and add a little bit more boost then at some stage get NZEFI to check it over.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit, there's still more to do before the engine goes back in.

Also definitely going to have to do some heat shielding on the inside of the bonnet.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Looking good man. How much heat do those blankets keep in? What sort of power was it making with the old combo?

Are you upping the boost further - great numbers already.