DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:What's the reason for the alloy cam plugs? Rubber just not up to the job?
I could only find one rubber one and I didn't want to buy more as the ali and my time were free, they are pretty well known for leaking too.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So this is how it sits now, the inlet manifold is on and tight apart from the plenum, fuel rail is installed with the other injector seals I found. Both rocker cover gaskets are on.

Finished and installed the titanium exhaust manifold studs, there's a slight problem which is totally my fault and I need to pull them all out again, the unthreaded part is too big for the holes in the gasket, I tried to drill out one gasket hole but it didn't turn out well so it's probably easier to modify the studs, will only take a couple of seconds per stud.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got most of the odd jobs I had to do out of the way today, got the loom out of the car and found everything else that I could think of that I would need to put the engine back together. Fixed the exhaust stud problem and found some washers to put on them.

Used the forklift to put the head onto the block, it was way to heavy for me to lift and I think it still would have been risky with two people.

Block all ready to go with the studs installed and gasket on.

And pretty much where I left it tonight. The head is on tight, exhaust manifold is on tight, the plenum was cleaned and is most of the way on, still need to tighten up a few bolts, put the dipstick in, make a blanking plug for the original dipstick hole and many other little jobs.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got a little bit done today, fitted the turbo water line fittings and oil line fittings, fitted some vacuum hoses to the fittings under the plenum and blocked them off, I'm not going to run the idle control on the dyno. Tightened up some more loose bolts so hopefully it's pretty much sorted.

Made up a plug for the dipstick hole as well, well I actually made two as the first one was too loose so I had to start again. I put a flange on it which the original ones don't have, so it definitely can't be pushed all the way into the sump.

Finally finished the crank to dyno adaptor as well that I started months ago, I forgot to order cap screws (as the standard flywheel bolts don't fit) so I'll do that tomorrow. It's basically to bolt the dyno drive shaft which has massive UJs directly to the crank, the dyno has a built in starter so I don't have to worry about that.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Damn son!
That's looking mighty sharp.
Are you just going to bed in the rings on the dyno, or complete a full power tune?
Does this engine have the monster cams you bought a while ago?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:Damn son!
That's looking mighty sharp.
Are you just going to bed in the rings on the dyno, or complete a full power tune?
Does this engine have the monster cams you bought a while ago?
It'll be a full tune if everything goes to plan, the dyno is pretty much untested and we have some doubts about the water drain setup on it. This motor has the big cams in it.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

How many psi are you going to tune it to?
580hp seems to be a number they can make quite happily.
It occurred to me that I have never been for a ride in this car yet. Something I'm quite looking forward to one day.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:How many psi are you going to tune it to?
580hp seems to be a number they can make quite happily.
It occurred to me that I have never been for a ride in this car yet. Something I'm quite looking forward to one day.
Going to keep adding boost until something breaks then back it off 2 pounds. Not too sure yet, I want it to last, maybe 20?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the motor in the dyno frame today. I had to machine down the ends of the bolts a little bit as they stuck out, it looks like they are slightly too long as well, I'll confirm that tomorrow but I think I need to take about 3mm off the other end.

Put oil in it today as well, had a minor leak as I hadn't tightened down the rocker covers properly.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Mucked around with the water to air intercooler a bit, I couldn't find many bits of 3" pipe or silicons in my stash but did the best I could. Also swapped the dyno fuel pump for the one out of the Z and I also cut the exhaust off just before the flexi.

This is the bit that attaches the crank to the dyno.

Got the motor into the dyno room and attached to the dyno, it was a bit of a mission as the whole motor had to move forwards on the stand to stop the dyno frame hitting on the block.

The main problem I have to sort out now before being able to tune it is the wastegate pipe, the exhaust pipe hits on the dyno stand so I can't line up the wastegate flanges, I'll figure something out on how to fix it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread