DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Sold the polished rocker covers so there's no going back now, will have to make a final decision on the colour/finish for the motor sometime soon, I think I'll probably just stick with black.

Bought some bonnet latches to see what they are like and whether they'll look okay or not, I bought some of the push button ones and also some fake Aerocatch ones, they should be here in a week or so. I've been thinking about the push button ones and they'd need rivnuts put in to be able to be used, or brackets made that come off the firewall.

Not much else has been happening really, we're busy at work trying to get two cars ready to go to the Dubai Motorshow and I don't really have any energy to do much after work, also haven't heard from Fleming yet, that's the main hold up at the moment, I can only really potter around with small bits and pieces until I get the head back but I'm not in any great rush.

Most of the jobs I've got left to do are small but I need the engine back in the car for most of them.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Went and saw Fleming last week, he thinks he'll have the head done this week which is good.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Good things take time?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Finally did the other bonnet vent today, it didn't go quite as well as the first one, I've got not real access to the other side of the car so I did the drivers side vent leaning over from the passengers side.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the bonnet latches, the fake Aerocatch ones are really really terrible, basically only good for putting in the bin. The push button latches are actually really nice apart from being a lot bigger than I was expecting. Need to put 38mm holes in the bonnet to install them, I'll have a look and see if there are any smaller ones around.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made up the new oil return tonight, this stuff is from a place called Torques in the UK, I think it's probably from China though, it doesn't go together as nicely as the Speedflow stuff but it was free. It's a reasonable distance from the manifold but I might end up putting heat sleeve around it if it's a problem.

I did a bit of searching as to whether -10 is going to be okay, I have a feeling that it's a bit on the small side but I couldn't find any suitable flanges in -12, I'll make some if I have to.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Can't complain about free stuff.

I know it doesn't look all fancy, but I always liked using the plain-jane Gates 10GTH/12GTH hose for turbo oil drains, partly because those fancy Speedflow and Aeroquip ones seem to be quite small diameter through the fittings themselves.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Can't complain about free stuff.

I know it doesn't look all fancy, but I always liked using the plain-jane Gates 10GTH/12GTH hose for turbo oil drains, partly because those fancy Speedflow and Aeroquip ones seem to be quite small diameter through the fittings themselves.
Yeah, I'm a little bit dubious of rubber hose, I had a 16mm rubber hose on there before but when I took the turbo off it cracked in half, and it was proper oil/temp rated stuff, I think it's just the proximity to the manifold that kills them. I've thought about making up a big 3/4" steel drain to just before the block fitting and putting a short silicone hose in there, that'll probably be what I do next if this doesn't work.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

So have you welded on a threaded fitting to your sump? Was looking at my oil return when I had it on the hoist the other week and the very short rubber hose I have on there is starting to leak... it's not quite the proper stuff though.. oil vapor/breather hose from memory..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:So have you welded on a threaded fitting to your sump? Was looking at my oil return when I had it on the hoist the other week and the very short rubber hose I have on there is starting to leak... it's not quite the proper stuff though.. oil vapor/breather hose from memory..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nah, the RBs have a port in the side of the block for the turbo oil drain, the 26s have two. Breather hose might not be rated to the right temp for liquid oil, but some hose isn't made to have oil continuously through it either.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread