Post by classicdat »

MAn you have all the coolest toys! :mrgreen: with envy
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by Datto_610 »

Is that for making your own winged sump or something?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

classicdat wrote:MAn you have all the coolest toys! :mrgreen: with envy
The boss has all the cool toys, I just get to play with them.

Datto_610 wrote:Is that for making your own winged sump or something?
Yup, I was originally doing it to make an aluminium sump for the white car but I think I've decided to sell that now. Maybe when I end up dry sumping the black car I can use it.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Cool!!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Loving the updates man!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Not a lot of progress this week, I think I'm going to give changing the valve guides myself a go, we've got this dryer thing at work that the head would fit in the guys think will go to 150 degrees, I just have to make some punches to get them out/back in. I'm not going to ream them, I'll get Fleming to do that.

I made up this little ali test stud to check my measurements for the coil mount height, looks okay. I'm either going to have to file a tiny bit off the corner of the coil where it is touching on the button head screw or maybe countersink it and put in a countersunk screw, it's M8 though and the mount isn't that thick.

Should have a guy coming to look at the same 26 block tomorrow so hopefully that will sell and free up some cash, the white car is for sale as well, I've still got to do some bits and pieces to it before it go can anywhere but after they're gone I should be able to get the black car to where I want it to be and start on the VK - I need to order new bits to replace the broken bits on the engine and then go from there.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

I have the reams if you make a drift to suit I can show you how to remove the guides at home?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Mucked around with the vacuum plenum thing last night and made some bungs, I'm going to try running a -6AN line off the back of it to a vacuum canister and see how that works, it'll tidy things up heaps. It's still at work so I don't have any pictures.

I got a -10 oil drain fitting for the turbo from Endevour Engineering (http://www.endevourengineering.co.nz/, if you're after this kind of thing you should check them out, it was less than half the price of the Speedflow one (and that's including shipping) and it's NZ made and really good quality, it seals with an o ring so no gasket. I also got a straight -10 fitting to see what the clearance was like, I think I'll need to do up the AN fitting and then bolt the flange to the turbo as there's not a lot of room around it.

Also measured up the flywheel to make this dyno adaptor flange, I roughed it out during the week, need to finish it off. The Opel/GM motor that was on the dyno ended up breaking, the way the cam shaft drive on the crank had been modified in the UK was ridiculous, it sheared the key and spun the gear so bent some valves.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got a little bit of time after work today to make up the drifts to get the valve guides out, they're made out of M12 by 180 long bolts, I had to spin the heads down to fit them past the jaws in the chuck. The boss is away again next week so hopefully I can get a couple of hours in one night after work to try and get the guides changed. I still need to make up two tools for installing the new ones, they have specific heights they need to installed at measured from the spring seat by the looks of it.

And here are the plugs I put in the vacuum manifold from the other day, I still need to stake them.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Good to see you making use of the facilities at your disposal - I know I would be too.

Was talking to your old boss a couple of weeks ago, I think he was quite jelly of all the toys you guys get to play with. Looking forward to seeing more of this.