1200 coupe z18et project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 1200 coupe z18et project

Post by Bartman »

I hope we'll be seeing this beast at Akaroa at Labour weekend?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver
aka: The shed

Post by z18et1200coupe »

Haha I would be so keen if I had cert by then.. but i'm almost 100% sure it'll will be quite a while until cert.. I got my list back from Don Hoff today.. and it is fairly decent haha..
1976 NA Lancer
1980 Starlet Bugeye (60,000 genuin k's)
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

If you dont mind posting up what you failed on., Im not far off myself and be interested what yours slipped up on as we practically have identical cars
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver

Post by z18et1200coupe »

Oh for sure Chris! most of the stuff I was expecting because I hadn't got around to doing it yet..

There were lots of little things like clipping main battery cable, mounting the fuel filter, clipping the fuel lines, spring washers under engine mount bolts, matching bolts on the driveshaft.

The main ones that will take some work are;
-Fitting a heat shield to the turbo and exhaust wrap the dump pipe until the floor.
-Certificate of drive shaft balancing.
-Remake gearbox cross member so that the bolt holes that line up with the chassis are in the middle of the crossmember, not offset to one side (slightly anal)
-Where I had remade some gearbox tunnel, It overlaps the older gearbox tunnel panel steel a little bit, which is illegal, apparently, (anal).
-And the front seats need to be made easier to tilt forward from the rear seats... very anal in my opinion haha!

But that's pretty much the jist of it, the rest is easy little things so its not too bad.. But he still missed a few things.. like recirculating the oil catch can gases.. but Don is still a tool in my opinion..

hope that helps!
1976 NA Lancer
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

z18et1200coupe wrote:Oh for sure Chris! most of the stuff I was expecting because I hadn't got around to doing it yet..

There were lots of little things like clipping main battery cable, mounting the fuel filter, clipping the fuel lines, spring washers under engine mount bolts, matching bolts on the driveshaft.

The main ones that will take some work are;
-Fitting a heat shield to the turbo and exhaust wrap the dump pipe until the floor.
-Certificate of drive shaft balancing.
-Remake gearbox cross member so that the bolt holes that line up with the chassis are in the middle of the crossmember, not offset to one side (slightly anal)
-Where I had remade some gearbox tunnel, It overlaps the older gearbox tunnel panel steel a little bit, which is illegal, apparently, (anal).
-And the front seats need to be made easier to tilt forward from the rear seats... very anal in my opinion haha!

But that's pretty much the jist of it, the rest is easy little things so its not too bad.. But he still missed a few things.. like recirculating the oil catch can gases.. but Don is still a tool in my opinion..

hope that helps!
when you say that your gearbox tunnel partly overlaps the old one, what was the suggested fix? has it been welded on both sides of the tunnel? thereby eliminating any raw edge overlap? or is it welded one side only? leaving a flap of sheet exposed on the opposite side?
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver

Post by z18et1200coupe »

It was welded on one side only.. There is probably half and inch of old steel sticking past the edge of the new welded patch.. But I will just cut the old steel until its flush with the patch and then weld it on the underside also.. shouldn't be too much of a job!
1976 NA Lancer
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That list is very do-able. I have faith in you..........
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Nice dude! So did you bring your coupe down to chch for cert?
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver

Post by z18et1200coupe »

Yeah.. To be honest, the more I look at the list the easier it looks.. there's just lots of little things that take up lots of time, but hopefully next week i'll start really cracking into it. And having another couple of daylight hours after work makes a massive difference too.

Nah Don was coming up anyway for a mates surf, so I organised him to look it over at my old work! he's coming up again in another few weeks but I don;t think it'll be done by then unfortunately..
1976 NA Lancer
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver

Post by z18et1200coupe »

Cracked into a bit of stuff over this week. Was working night shift so I had all day to work on the datto yeow!

So I whipped the motor out because I wanted to repaint the engine bay, Gave her a few coats today and it looks good! way better than the paint on the car! I used 2 part and you can put it on so heavy with all the hardener and get such a deep flow!

Also plumbed the wastegate pipe into the exhaust.
And made some little brackets with a pulley wheel on them that I weldded to the diff to hold the handbrake cables off the shocks.
And tidied up my gearbox tunnel and sealed it all up with urethane so it looks nice and tidy.
And put new P clips on all my fuel lines under the car.

Got a few things to do before I put the engine back in, Like exhaust wrap the dump pipe, P clip a few lines to the firewall, and a few other little things.

Also got a twin plate HKS sr20det clutch. Had to do a bit of grinding in the bellhousing, Put a little shim under the clutch fork pivot as the sr20 clutch is not a think as the ca18 one. and also needed a new starter motor, one from a ca18et 200sx. there's a few pic showing where you put the shim under the clutch fork and where to grind the bellhousing.

Hopefully will have everything done for cert when the dude comes back up in a few weeks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 NA Lancer
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et