Nick 1200 sedan Race car - Shit this things needs finishing

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Nick 1200 sedan Race car - Shit this things needs finishing

Post by nick_m »

Well thought i'd setup a project page since there is actually something to report now.

I brought it like this coming up 3 years ago now, had reg and wof and no chance of getting a new wof due to rust. It cost me a whopping $500
The worst rust was in the drivers rear quarter, notice the aluminium duct tape over the rust.

Then over the next year and a half I mucked around, got some stuff wrong, learnt to weld (well, i'm still pretty rubbish really) then redid the stuff I learnt to weld on.

Making tunnel

Cut it out again, and cut out all the overlapping seams and but welded it then put it back in.
The tunnel is now finished but I don't have a completed photo handy looking into the car.

Modified Rad support for wider rad.

I also did some rust repairs, and a few other things, then it went into storage at the start of the year for about 3 months while we tried to find somewhere to live
When we did get a place and the datsun was eventually unpacked again I found i had a renewed sense of motivation (seeing everyone else making good progress on theirs certainly helped)
I got some new wheels (off dans coupe) and put some smaller tyres on the rims, as the ones on there were a little "baloony" for my liking.
Note: It will be lower, its an empty shell at the moment!
I also have a VE head and s13 sr20de which will get built up as a 2L version of what Glen is doing, but in the interest of getting the thing finished before I retire (i'm 24) I decided to buy a s14 sr20de to get it running and through cert quicker, then I can build the motor properly once its running. the s14 de cost me $300 with computer and loom and 117,000km's on it sort should be good.

So as of this weekend, It finally made it to the rust shop for sandblasting and primering!
All ready to go

No trailer pics because I forgot

At Rustorations

Before it went in I had to make up a wee frame the same as what Mush did with his to make it a bit easier for sandblasting/primer etc.
Two sedans

So thats pretty much where it is at at the moment, I'm pretty stoked to finally be moving forward again.
But expect a bit more progress over the next couple of months (compared to the last 3 years anyway!) as I have a lot of parts ready and waiting in the garage for a bit of attention.
Last edited by nick_m on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheater_5
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Nick 1200 sedan

Post by cheater_5 »

nice work!
195/45's fit pretty dang well dont they. Its coming along nicely dude, dont slack now :D
Who's painted sedan is that?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

good one you Nick! You must be stoked to finally have the body progressing.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

looking real nice. not a bad score for $500 i must say
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Yeah I'm stoked the body is moving along. pretty happy
cheater_5 wrote:nice work!
195/45's fit pretty dang well dont they. Its coming along nicely dude, dont slack now :D
Who's painted sedan is that?
Yeah pretty stoked with the 195/45's they fit good.
That sedan in the background is mush's
There's a project thread on here.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

hey nick what are those tyres dude? make etc
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

they are 195/45/14 hankook k105. Tony Tyre service on linoln road did them for me for $145 each, which seemed lika resonable price
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Did ya here about your frame Nick?
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Just a quick update.
The car is back from the sand blasters and is being cleaned up ready for primer, so i went in to have a look.
Unfortunately the sand blasting turned up a bit of rust we weren't expecting. Most of it is just small holes, but there is quite a bad patch where the rear tub means the door jam.
At this stage It will becoming back to me once its primed while i decide how much of the repairs I want to do myself and to save money for the rest of the repairs.
At this stage it looks like I may be picking it up next weekend.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

shame about the xtra rust :( at least once its sorted you,ll know exactly where you stand with the body work, and its worth it to do it properly the first time.