Now Monsta 01's 160j sss

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Monsta01
Regular

Re: Now Monsta 01's 160j sss

Post by Monsta01 »

I didnt change gears at all was mainly checkn afr and power runs, i was thinking maybe its a heat issue of the fuel in the float bowls getting too hot bcoz my i dont have a heat shield between exhaust and carbs. Thats all i can think of heres some more dyno sheets with revvs aswell, just note on the one that revs up to 9000 the rev limiter on the car was set to 8200 but it was realistically peaking at 7000 ish so limit is set to 7200 now

Was told that the little bit of squiggle at the start was no real issue as that was the pump jet shot settling down and bcoz of the lead in time of the dyno but yeh the big squiggles are odd and the car itself from me driving it on the dyno had no issues but the others around reckoned you could sometimes hear it go flat then rev up again sorta thing it was really strange.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

So havnt done too much lately havent had much money to but i went to motorhead festival at taupo which used to b d-comp for those who know and won best old school award so pretty stoked, so now next on my list after a long time looking is new seats, i looked at getting mine rebolstered and then reupholstered but it was more than i wanted to spend when for less i can get some aftermarket seats, from various sites and googling and talking to people iv settled on some recaro "fishnets" im picking them up tomorrow from the wrecker, theyre from an isuzu bighorn, the drivers one has a little rip but ima get it fixed up so all in all wen installed it should only cost me about 350 bucks to get them :) so pretty happy will post befre n after of the seats when i get them n clean them
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

Recaro seats in and so much more comfy, maybre akaroa this year? Pics of seats in and all clean they were filthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

It would be great if you were able to make it down again. :highfive:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

Can't help you at all with that strange dyno curve sorry but noticed it says Waiariki Institute on the sheet? It that the polytech's dyno you're using? Must be a bit flasher than the old thing they had when I was there. Can you hire it out or what's the deal? Or are you doing the automotive course there and they let you use it?
Nice looking car too btw
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

nzdatman wrote:Can't help you at all with that strange dyno curve sorry but noticed it says Waiariki Institute on the sheet? It that the polytech's dyno you're using? Must be a bit flasher than the old thing they had when I was there. Can you hire it out or what's the deal? Or are you doing the automotive course there and they let you use it?
Nice looking car too btw
It was their dyno yes im friends with the tutors and did my pre trade there so they keen to help when they can and about 5 or so yrs ago theynspent about 40 k on a new dyno so ye new and good
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

Just a bit of a boring update of things that have ben going on, i found the time and then got my front springs fixed, i was running just cut springs but now am running custom made springs on shortened shocks, rides so much better and smoother now.
The following weekend was motorhead festival at taupo which was formerly d-comp run by the dmnz crew of jodie verhulst and drew donnovan, got to do some cruising round the track which was first time since ruapuna and without tonnes of luggage haha so was really cool but made me need new seats so hence the recaro replacements, but at the hardpark as part of the event i took out best old school ride so pretty stoked with my trophy :D.
Apart from that the only other mod done which was a ridiculously long time coming was fitting and msd tach adapter so that my factory tacho would work since it hadnt ever since installing msd cdi ignition, so thats all go now even though it was about six weeks getting it here from america as the lazy yanks were all on strike and nobody anywhere aussie, nz, america actually had one in stock but anyway here now :P.

Couple of pics of small updates :D
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

denpal wrote:I'd just take it to Ruapuna drags and see what time and speed you do. The weight-shifted time/speed will tell you how much power is reaching the rear wheels, assuming you also know its weight (a weighbridge will tell you).

65RWKW suggests around 125hp at the engine. That is quite good for a 1600 I'd say.

I had an L20B in a 1600 that ran 16.3 secs on the 1600 SSS SU carbs, proving that the SU's could flow enough air for a 16sec quarter.
So im pretty due for an update on this old girl its been a while, i took it to the oldschool.co.nz christmas tree drags in december for a go because drags is something iv never done and wanted to try, alot harder than it looks i must say! But from my tastefully modified L16 i managed a best quarter mile of the day of 16.78 at 80mph safe to say i was pretty stoked with that! Its all in the launch as i jumped from a 17.09 to the 16.78 with just a perfect launch, pretty happy and proving to myself the engine that we built has enough power for sure.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Damn straight there is a bit to perfecting ones technique.

Be careful though, drag racing is a disease that can only be cured by poverty............................
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Monsta01
Regular

Post by Monsta01 »

Bartman wrote:Damn straight there is a bit to perfecting ones technique.

Be careful though, drag racing is a disease that can only be cured by poverty............................
I hear that mate the only sad thing is there really is no class for 16 secnd cars, to be competitive at any real event you need to run good numbers like under 11s n to get my car there would b costly and need an egine swap something i dont want! Wheres an old shitbox class!?