James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James Z31 Revival

Post by 85_Z31 »

Bart , Correct and Very close

The barometric compensating device might get a few more clicks to see if we can't cause a bit of Grief with the Kayaba 3 PUK i have in my possession.

You were close, its a sprung Centre not a solid.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

We need a like button!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

We have on the Tapatalk app!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Ive Got the 3.7 LSD in the car - whoa what a difference using a low mileage diff makes. Nice and quiet , clonk is gone and a lot better acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear when not under boost.

With that issue solved, my attention is moved to cooling, I have had this 16 row oil cooler sitting on my desk for about 4 months so i whizzed up a simple bracket to hold it in near the front wheel,threaded rod will be changed to a turned up alloy spacer. To go with the Cooler i bought a trade me copy of a MOCAL oil thermostat block and immediately set about improving it. I have ported the oil inlet / outlet to get better flow and lower the pressure drop and had a face's milled flat for better sealing.
Oil Cooler-2.JPG
Oil Cooler-1.JPG
The casting was actually really good quality- i suspect its the real part minus a few machining steps so they can sell them cheap, i tested that the thermostat does actually operate which is a good sign.
Mocal.JPG
And much to Broke's dismay i have purchased Anodized fittings and braided oil line ( needed them in a hurry so i can go racing on the 27th ), its a tight fit getting into the engine bay so i have made up these reinforcement plates to spot weld to the sheet metal where i am penetrating into the body of the car.

Its looking fairly likely the Drivers side header needs to come off so i can do a proper job installing the oil lines.

weld plate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

So did you go with the 3.7 or 3.9?
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Went with the 3.7, and increased the clutch pack preload to 70 ft lbs and its the best its ever felt from the back end. Not Getting any clutch chatter using the Ams Oil Severe gear either.
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

85_Z31 wrote:Went with the 3.7, and increased the clutch pack preload to 70 ft lbs and its the best its ever felt from the back end. Not Getting any clutch chatter using the Ams Oil Severe gear either.
I would have thought that the 3.7 would be a bit long on the road is your overdrive a 0.8 or 0.7?
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

The 3.7 is a huge improvement over the 3.54 , The 3,5 was really really long on the open road.

I have tried a 3.9 in the past and it never really felt a good match, to the engine, the VG dosn't really rev but with the cams ive got it has a really short wild band of torque from about 4500rpm to 6700rpm, I always figured it helped load up the engine to get the turbo on boost and keep it there.

Oil Cooler is mounted up, The sheet metal penetration plates worked out great, so all i have to do is Re install my Drivers side exhaust header and put the body panels back on and that's another job done.
Mounted Cooler-1.jpg
Mounted Cooler-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

Sorry james I thought you were running a 3.9 and revving in the 7 to 7.5 .
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

:badgrin: that would be a dream come true if they VG could spin 7500