James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: James 85 Z31 300zx

Post by Bartman »

wicked! Loving your work man! :thumbsup:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Bartman wrote:wicked! Loving your work man! :thumbsup:
I hoping for an estimated 230 hp at the wheels on factory stock 7psi

then it gets an inter cooler an we can crank it up to about 15-18 psi to really see what she can do.

remember guys these motors arn't even 8.0 to 1 compression so they love a good wind up with boost pressure

this a Dyno graph from the engine setup I have copied so far I still need to do some adjustable cam gears

The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Yay another VG

Love these cars and progress so far!
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Some bad news,

Started tuning which went well got it running ok at light to mid load across most of the fuel map.

however it wasn't making any boost before about 4500rpm and the turbo was acting like a big blockage causing the manifolds and turbo to get red hot when it wasn't even doing anything.

So that turbo has to go. the factory T3 is getting improved slightly and even though it looks tiny I'm told by an experienced man that its the best option until i have the rest of the car finished up ( LSD, back shocks , inter cooler etc )

so the short story is the engine comes out to change over the turbo. ( fun times ahead )
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

85_Z31 wrote:Some bad news,

Started tuning which went well got it running ok at light to mid load across most of the fuel map.

however it wasn't making any boost before about 4500rpm and the turbo was acting like a big blockage causing the manifolds and turbo to get red hot when it wasn't even doing anything.

So that turbo has to go. the factory T3 is getting improved slightly and even though it looks tiny I'm told by an experienced man that its the best option until i have the rest of the car finished up ( LSD, back shocks , inter cooler etc )

so the short story is the engine comes out to change over the turbo. ( fun times ahead )
Dont ya love working on project cars. Either way its going to be mint though :) What size AR housing and compressor wheel on that factory T3?
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

the Factory T3 is a .63 Exhaust and I think the Cold side i can't remember the numbers but i had a measure up last night.

The T3 will have to do for a few months as i still have LSD , inter cooling and front brakes to sort out.

I still have no doubt of producing 280hp at the wheels which is actually heaps fast really.

Tonight progress.

Car is on stands

Exhaust is removed

Charge pipe and air flow meter pipes and other misc stuff is removed

About to lift up one side on the engine mounts and have a crack at pulling off the turbo.

The T3 is already stripped down getting the exhaust housing - de restricted and modified to suit a 3 inch exhaust with a flange being made as we speak.

ETA for re fitting everything is Wednesday, and once I re weld the down pipe to suit the factory turbo I will be ready for more tuning on satturday

I'm not shagging around on this one !!!! I really really really want my car
skdmrx
Financial Member

Post by skdmrx »

Shit man,slow down,have a beer or something,your making al us slackers look like slackers.Awsome work :burnout: on sat for you
"You make onry one car style!!"
I felt particularly exhausted all my sheet is not subjective
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

you have to be one of the most dedicated people ive seen in ages. really good to see. keep it up mate
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

haha

I'm all done in like record time aye.

the honest truth is i do have a job and here is some evidence that I'm all done by 9pm

I could actually start finding jobs to do that could speed me up later in the week but I'm happy to take it easy for the rest of tonight

OMG somebody stole my turbo :badgrin:

To be honest what helps me is the fact My Fiance is in Palmerston North at the university and I only see her like every 2nd weekend.
This means I have as much time in the garage as I like. Only she is back this Friday so progress will be slow this weekend.

I'm not that dedicated I just know my way around this car so well because in the 3 years I have had it, so much has happened two or maybe three times depending on various issues found along the way.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

85_Z31 wrote:haha

I'm all done in like record time aye.

the honest truth is i do have a job and here is some evidence that I'm all done by 9pm

I could actually start finding jobs to do that could speed me up later in the week but I'm happy to take it easy for the rest of tonight

OMG somebody stole my turbo :badgrin:

To be honest what helps me is the fact My Fiance is in Palmerston North at the university and I only see her like every 2nd weekend.
This means I have as much time in the garage as I like. Only she is back this Friday so progress will be slow this weekend.

I'm not that dedicated I just know my way around this car so well because in the 3 years I have had it, so much has happened two or maybe three times depending on various issues found along the way.
Sweet. That .63 Ar will help with some nice boost volume. Same compressor housing on the t28 turbo on the gti-r.
My orangatang 510 here.