James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Post by 85_Z31 »

VK56DETT you say ?

It’s got plenty of grunt to enjoy, just needs to work. Aiming for 250kw at the tires . With all the changes I think it’s going to need a proper dyno tune. Don’t want to wreck my new motor
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Omg sure looks professional the way your going about that engine build.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Thanks Warrick - i appreciate the comments . Its quite time consuming and i wouldn't be able to do this without having some machining skills / being comfortable with micrometers and dial gauges

For me its mental stimulation and my relaxing time Work is very stressful and its nice to spend the evenings doing this.

Ive made a rod balancing jig but hit a wee snag so that needs some adjustment or i need to try another set of precision scales. The plan is to send the pistons for coating, once this has taken place i need to re weigh and then do the piston balancing. Then once i figure out how to get my rod big and small ends weights to repeat i can do that balancing and send the weights to the bloke who will balance the crank.

As it turns out the Guy in Greta vally is who Bart & his Dad use ( so i know im in good hands ). and they will do the crank , flywheel and clutch together.

all of this combined with my upgrade high flow oil pump should give me a 7000rpm capable V6.

It might be a while before i get back to this, just bought my 100 series VX Landcruiser and it wasn't cheap. The bonus is i don't have any more time pressure to finish the z - I can do it right and take my time.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Awesome work James

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

A while Back i started working on this CAD design for a new higher flowing Plenum, got this far and sort of stalled out.
Plenum Z31 LY1157 v11-2.png
Plenum Z31 LY1157 v11.png

The next 3 pictures is restoring some damaged, rusty hacked brackets to do with the face lift front end that i am fitting to the z. Cutting welding heating and forming was involved but the structure integrity is now back.
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
This is the Begining of the front end swap, a while back some of you may Remember DJ and i went half each in a parts car, this is the reason why.
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1071.JPG

End Result is to be exactly like this, same colour, same 200zr scoop - an exact match.
IMG_1020.JPG
The Engine build is a bit on Hold, i need some funding to continue it, so im doing the best i can with other parts I already have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Did you end up getting the plenum made?

I just saw that facelift car you posted now, facelift front + early style rear is the best combo for Z31's I reckon.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Been ages since posting but ive done a few bits n pieces.

bought a $300 mystery NA engine slapped my heads and cams in it and thats now running in the car along with the existing turbo and manifold setup. with more compression it should drive nicer and go a lot better.

Inter cooler number #3 is a properly integrated part, short piping and tidy. this time with o ring connectors eliminating t bolts and hose clamps.

I'm getting the hang of alloy tig it just takes time.

New fuel rails are made , leaving that untill last to prevent the mistake of doing plumbing before EVERYTHING is fully installed in the bay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Got the inercooler welded
IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4265.JPG
Designed and machined this RB fuel reg adaptor out of scraps i found
Fuel Reg Adaptor.PNG
Welded some thread bosses on the cooler pipes to do proper clipping of fuel lines
IMG_5098.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG
84t_Z31

Post by 84t_Z31 »

Hi James, I just joined and this is my first post. Just spend several hours reading all 79 pages of this and was actually amazed the last post was last month. You make me ashamed of how long it's taken me to get to where I'm at with my z31, Ive only had it about 17 years! I've spent far too long on bodywork, I need to get on with mechanical soon.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Great to hear from you, by all means my Z has taken me far too long and still isn't back on the road.

But thats ok because the journey of learning and figuring things out was able to get me out of the office and working on cars for a living, so i could say the 12ish years ive had mine was actually quite well spent.

you should post up all your pictures.

Feel free to ask about anything ive done. A lot of it didn't work and/or got re done.