James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
84t_Z31

Re: James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Post by 84t_Z31 »

If I get stuck I will definitely seek some advise, this thread(?) will come in handy as you have done many things I have had rattling around in my head for years but unsure what direction to go. Mines an 84 2+2 slicktop factory turbo, cant say I've seen another even online. I have no pics of what I've done so far but honestly not much too see, currently primer red awaiting paint. One thing I will ask now, did you bother with the polystyrene on the steel bumper when you swapped front ends? Mines long gone.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Mocked up all this last night

this engine does run but currently these parts are only sitting in place for a fit and form check , i need to order some gaskets and things.

DJ Milled the cam gear pockets for me, so i can finish those in my lathe at home. Had to weld up and re mill a bore on the fuel rails i made but they are now fully installed and sealed up with the nismo reg ect.
IMG_5583 (Edited).JPG
IMG_5586 (Edited).JPG
IMG_5585 (Edited).JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

In my last post DJ machined out the pockets on the cam gears for me which came out real nice.

During this lockdown there was no better time to finish machining the cam gears and setup all the equipment to dial them in fully.

i actually wrecked a set of oem gears ( the inner gets machined out and the threaded holes added ) but i had enough spares on hand to get there in the end.

the correction on the drivers side gear was about 4.5 camshaft degree's which sounds like a lot but some of this is related to the heads being milled and some of it to the cambelt tension. The gears look cool but they have a specific purpose. I do want to machine a nicer washer and bolt since the gear is fully exposed with the cutaway front covers.

IMG_6398.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6355.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Since doing the cam gears was the big annoying project I’m not doing smaller annoying stuff that I don’t like.

I got these bonnet catch’s from DJ and they have worked out really nice .

I dragged the bumper back out from behind the shed and started to bond up the crack . This thing is in quite rough shape but it’s the one one got .

When we go back to work I need to collect come of the engine wiring that trapped in my desk and the next item to buy is a new radiator after I damages the old one during storage.