James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: James Z31 Revival

Post by classicdat »

Awesome James. 1600 passed today so would be good to see you out at the next 2 weekends events.
You didn't manage to get a little something drop in the heater duct when the dash was out?? no screws missing or the like, might be your noise?
All the best for the Morrow
Datsuns from A to Zed
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

classicdat wrote:Awesome James. 1600 passed today so would be good to see you out at the next 2 weekends events.
You didn't manage to get a little something drop in the heater duct when the dash was out?? no screws missing or the like, might be your noise?
All the best for the Morrow
your Good luck must have done the trick Vaughan. All Road Legal WOF and Rego and running well enough.

Passed today on the Re Test after having to machine up some spacers for the ball joints. Turns out they are longer than OEM and the Circlip didn't have any preload. So i whipped out the lathe and some stainless and got busy.

Regarding the heater, I Agree with you i think something has fallen in there and knocked something off balance. There is also a horrific amount of rattles through the entire car, its like Surround sound Metal Rattles in there.

But Rattles can be fixed one by one and i will get there.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Well Done. Look forward to cruising with ya
Datsuns from A to Zed
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

ive seen Rattles fixed with expanding foam :lol: a container of screws got left under the false floor of a passenger coach, then it was carpeted and seats bolted down, the easy fix was expanding foam squirted in while going round a corner trapping the jar lol.
might work for your heater.
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

2 doors wrote:ive seen Rattles fixed with expanding foam :lol: a container of screws got left under the false floor of a passenger coach, then it was carpeted and seats bolted down, the easy fix was expanding foam squirted in while going round a corner trapping the jar lol.
might work for your heater.
:D Should "Fix" whatever is Ailing your heater
Datsuns from A to Zed
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

After using it as a workbench since Akraroa 2015 i have now run 2 tanks of gas though this thing and I'm fairly happy with how its running.

Next up on Project Single Cam

Begin right away

3.7 Ratio Clutch LSD
Radiator air duct
Oil Cooler
More Aggressive front pads and a rear brake refresh
Fix Fan blower / diagnose a whole bunch of rattles

Once the truck is sold and i have another car to drive ...

Replace Clutch
Replace input bearing on gearbox in the hope if less noise
See what options are out there for installing new universal joints in the driveshaft
Do something about the horrible seats > suggestions here are welcome ( got all soft from driving a Fuga around )

Its quick enough for a 30 year old car, but i want a bit more around town /low end acceleration. the extra height of the 245's has geared it taller than it used to be . Plan always was to put in a 3.7.

Its going to be the small things here on out that make the car what i want it to be, eliminating rattles, re instating the heater and some better supporting more comfortable seats.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Getting there with the 3.7 LSD build
3.7 diff -1.jpg
3.7 diff -2.jpg
3.7 diff -3.jpg
3.7 diff -4.jpg
3.7 diff -5.jpg
This is my old 2 Way now into a 3.71 housing with the clutches shimmed up to 70 ft lb breakaway torque.

Once i get the Diff back in I'm going to look at dropping the gearbox for doing the clutch and hopefully fixing the input bearing on the gearbox.

I have new Decent size oil cooler to go on, and an oil cooler thermostat on its way soon.

I have also made up bases for my new R34 Seats but got sick of working on that so switched over to playing with diffs.

The Goal is to enter a Canterbury car club autocross, so the sway bars will be coming off then i need to get some more caster in the front end so i can so sling this thing around some cones. I also need to throw some adjustable cam gears into it so i can try and get the lazy old v6 to light up a bit sooner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Good to see you figured out where those shims went!

Can't wait to see this beast running again, especially with all the improvements of late.

Keep it up!
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

85_Z31 wrote:Getting there with the 3.7 LSD build
The Goal is to enter a Canterbury car club autocross, so the sway bars will be coming off then i need to get some more caster in the front end so i can so sling this thing around some cones. I also need to throw some adjustable cam gears into it so i can try and get the lazy old v6 to light up a bit sooner.
Is it a bit lazy?
What was your old diff?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Wasn't a slippy clutch the thing stopping you cranking up the barometric compensator/amplifier?
May I suggest a nice street friendly clutch. Something like say a three puck with a solid centre? :badgrin:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............