anyone on here work for Holden?

all else goes here...
nzdatman
Financial Member

anyone on here work for Holden?

Post by nzdatman »

I'm thinking about getting a Holden (I know, I know... :oops: )
Would love to get some info and an honest opinion about the duramax 2 engine and more specifically the oil consumption problem I'm reading a lot about...
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: anyone on here work for Holden?

Post by classicdat »

LS1 Gen 111!
Nah to be honest I wouldn't buy another one. Sorry I can't comment on the other motor or it's issues.
We have Never had a clean sheet for a wof, needed lots of repairs over the time and suffered devaluation as well, both seem typical for Holdens.
If I was buying again now I would look at a FUGO, yes it will Devalue, but will have Japanese build qual and reliability.
Datsuns from A to Zed
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

Yeah well Holdens have never been known for high quality I suppose.
What is a FUGO?
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

FUGO appears to be the Japanese equivalent of the Altima. Comes in a variety of engines (incl VH45 :burnout: ) and imho looks good.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

classicdat wrote:FUGO appears to be the Japanese equivalent of the Altima. Comes in a variety of engines (incl VH45 :burnout: ) and imho looks good.
Fuga? Someone in the committee has just purchased one.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Who?
I'm thinking about getting an '04 TI maxima.
The VQ has one of the highest flowing cylinder heads around.
That said, most "new" cars are built to a price. And not intended to last forever....
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

if you get 3-5 years out of a new car your doing well - anything older is just gonna start failing, be spendy to fix.

Seeing this more and more at workshops - cars are built for a lifetime, like transmissions that are "filled for life". The life of it is 100,000kms, once past that its outta warranty and dealers / manufacturers just don't care. (unless you buy extended warranty). But here in NZ we want to fix/keep our beloved car and keep it going.

Manufacturers only want you to own a new car for 3 years max, then trade on a new one.
Throw away society is here to stay - for the short term anyway, itll get to a point were itll all fall over - it just cant sustain itself.

Stay oldschool everyone lol.

Just my 2c
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

Yep I'd agree it seems like new cars are not as reliable as they were in say the 90s.
We have had d21 navaras at work, still have a d22, can't remember ever doing any significant repairs on them ever, the d22 has done over 300K now and is just starting to have some annoying minor things starting to go wrong. The engine is still strong as.
Sounds like all brands of new utes have their share of problems, from small niggly things to major expensive faults.
The problem is that the increased safety, lower emissions, comfort etc of a newer car is hard to ignore.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

brocky41 wrote:if you get 3-5 years out of a new car your doing well - anything older is just gonna start failing, be spendy to fix.

Seeing this more and more at workshops - cars are built for a lifetime, like transmissions that are "filled for life". The life of it is 100,000kms, once past that its outta warranty and dealers / manufacturers just don't care. (unless you buy extended warranty). But here in NZ we want to fix/keep our beloved car and keep it going.

Manufacturers only want you to own a new car for 3 years max, then trade on a new one.
Throw away society is here to stay - for the short term anyway, itll get to a point were itll all fall over - it just cant sustain itself.

Stay oldschool everyone lol.

Just my 2c
This x1000!

The things I see on BMW's... wow! There's a great documentary called "the Lightbulb Conspiracy" if anyone's interested in the rise of planned obolescence....
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I'm hearing you Morgan.
I'm getting over my mid 90's daily.
Great on gas, and super reliable.
But I'm getting my yearn on for a car from this century.

A mates mrs got a mazda 6 atenza. It's had to have the fuel pump done a couple of times, and a few other problems.

John,
BMW's (newer ones in particular) are complete rubbish.
The stories I've heard from Dattodevil make my toes curl........
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............