Buying stuff from over sea's

all else goes here...
Ivan
Datsun Nutter
aka: Ivan

Buying stuff from over sea's

Post by Ivan »

Isn't it funny how you can buy stuff from over half way around the world then pay for shipping and it's still cheaper than buying it for NZ? It seems that NZ is people are so dam greedy for money.I have brought a new set of cap screws with washers for my cam cover for cheaper than I would have brought them in NZ. Ok so I saved myself a couple of dollars big deal?I paid $500 - 550 for my headers,I can get a much nicer set from the state's for $280nz and that's not all new L28 parts like after market con rods etc.. loads cheaper.Also when I have brought stuff from Japan it has never taken longer than a week to get the goods,Get some thing from Auckland..........Well!? :x
Datsun 260c

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jdmridesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
240znz
Financial Member
aka: James

Re: Buying stuff from over sea's

Post by 240znz »

I'm in the wholesale importing game. I too buy personal stuff from the UK and the US and get a much better deal even after shipping and yes it gets here just as fast if not faster. But things to consider are:

Economy of scale. We only have 4.5million people here, so local suppliers won't purchase as nearly as much as say a UK online outfit, so the local wholesale buy price appears relatively expensive.

Freight is expensive as is the fees for foreign exchange transfer.

You may or may not have to pay duty and or GST depending on the $ amount you have purchased but the local supplier sure does.

You don't have to store it, advertise it, run a sales team with cars, fuel and office space. A website has very little overheads compared to local suppliers.

Local suppliers like you, want to live in affordable homes, raise great kids and enjoy the lifestyle offered in this magnificent country of ours. They can't do that on small margins to compete with online sites. Margins are small anyway.

What I tend to do is to look at the price of things locally and if it's a small difference and I get value added service such as sound advice, excellent service and fast friendly response, then I'll use local even if it is more costly. But if I can fit the item myself (such as MTB parts), then I buy from a UK website as sometimes it can be as good as 50% less. I sometimes buy half and half just to support them.

That's my 2cents (+ duty and customs fees)!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Well put James.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

I also suspect some stock has been around for awhile and was bought when the NZ dollar was much lower.
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
Ivan
Datsun Nutter

Post by Ivan »

So I scored a nice steering wheel off Trademe for $40,it come with a bosskit but it doesn't fit. So i had I look on trademe for one $80 - $120 for a new one. I thought that was being greedy. Looked on Yahoo Japan "BOOM" I can get a new one for under $20 NZD plus shipping. Have to say you gotta love buying thing from over sea's.
Datsun 260c

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jdmridesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

Under $20nzd plus shipping doesnt mean you get top dollar quality.
I bought an HKB Japan bosskit out of Japan and it didnt end up being much cheaper than buying the same bosskit here.
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Ivan wrote:So I scored a nice steering wheel off Trademe for $40,it come with a bosskit but it doesn't fit. So i had I look on trademe for one $80 - $120 for a new one. I thought that was being greedy. Looked on Yahoo Japan "BOOM" I can get a new one for under $20 NZD plus shipping. Have to say you gotta love buying thing from over sea's.
Who are you using to buy off yahoo japan?

Any time I buy something I'm paying for shipping to local depot in japan, middle mans % fee for handling etc. Then freight back to me.

Quickly makes things expensive.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Buy New Zealand made.
Support the local economy
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

torqued wrote:Buy New Zealand made.
Who makes boss kits in NZ?

But yup I agree, for new stuff and especially for small stuff I buy it off a NZ distributor. I bought my last HKB boss kit from Alex at Moonlight Racing, cost pretty much the same as buying it off Yahoo with less mucking around for me.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Ivan
Datsun Nutter

Post by Ivan »

torqued wrote:Buy New Zealand made.
I will buy stuff if its fairly priced. I don't care where it comes from. At the end of the day most of the crap we buy comes from the same place (ie China) anyways.
Datsun 260c