Parts Washer Fluid

all else goes here...
nzdatman
Financial Member

Parts Washer Fluid

Post by nzdatman »

Ive just bought a parts washer for cleaning dirty Datsun parts and other things. Now need to get some cleaning fluid. What do you guys recommend? And where are the best places to get it? The parts washer takes 120L so I need it to be well priced or it will cost a fortune to fill up!
I'm leaning towards white spirits- have used it a lot for work stuff and seems good. But probably expensive. Have tried a water soluble one at work too which was not very good. Solvent based seem better than water based stuff from what I've seen but there are probably better water based ones around than what I used. Any thoughts?
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Re: Parts Washer Fluid

Post by beaver »

diesel.

seriously.
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

was initially thinking about staying away from diesel or kero, horrible smelling stuff and aren't you left with an oily residue or is it easy enough to clean off? definitely in the right price bracket!
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

I like kero or white spirits but first check what is recommended for the washer. Some are only rated for water based cleaners.
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

it just says must have flash point over 100deg F so must be solvent ok. Its the same model parts washer I've used for years on industrial sites, usually filled with white spirits or sometimes kero
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Proper Kerosine will wash off with water. BUt pure kero is really hard to get nowdays. If you buy a litre of kero in a bottle from a servo etc, it's actually like home heat, which has diesel in it. which doesn't wash off in water.
When I was a teen, my dad had a shitload of proper kero. I used to wash everything in it.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............